Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Share Screen of iMac M1 running Monterrey from MacMini Running Catalina

I've just put up a new iMac 24" M1 running Monterrey, migrating from an older iMac (2012) running Mojave. Everything works fine so far, except for screen sharing.

I'm using a 2012 MacMini running Catalina as a Screen Sharing client. I can connect and log in to the iMac just fine. The problem is the screen sharing window on the client is black - I see nothing of what's on the iMac's screen. I can see the mouse pointer moving, but that's all; the rest of the screen sharing window is black.

I've tried everything I can think of and haven't been able to move the ball on this. As nearly as I can tell, I've got everything configured correctly, and had no problems with screen sharing before moving to the new iMac M1 / Monterrey. So far, I've been unsuccessful in finding anything in the forums that addresses this particular issue. Any help is much appreciated!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2022 11:39 AM

Well, i put on the pending Monterrey 12.3.1 update and don't you know - that fixed the problem! I gotta admit, I had pretty much zero confidence that it would resolve the problem - no mention, of course, in the notes that it addressed any problem related to Screen Sharing. Oh, well - all's well that ends well -- if it ever ends!

Thanks for the help, guys!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2022 11:39 AM in response to BluesBrother3

Well, i put on the pending Monterrey 12.3.1 update and don't you know - that fixed the problem! I gotta admit, I had pretty much zero confidence that it would resolve the problem - no mention, of course, in the notes that it addressed any problem related to Screen Sharing. Oh, well - all's well that ends well -- if it ever ends!

Thanks for the help, guys!

Apr 10, 2022 10:36 AM in response to BluesBrother3

They have to be on the same subnet or one has to be hooked up directly to a static IP address behind a modem, and not a router. Then use the vnc://IP address of the computer in Go menu -> Connect to Server on the "client" machine connecting to the machine that is being shared

as is shown in the screen sharing system preferences under system preferences -> Sharing. What that means is sharing the same WiFi network or ethernet based network on routers.

Apple menu -> System Preferences -> File and Screen Sharing needs to be enabled.

http://www.anydesk.com/ offers internet based screen sharing that both machines can run with each other, though this is slower.

Apr 10, 2022 11:10 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks, dialabrain. I agree: it should work. I've used this capability many, many times before upgrading to an M1 iMac and Monterrey, and it's always worked flawlessly. I've not changed anything in my configuration, as far as I know; the M1 iMac running Monterrey seems to be the major variable. I do note that an update to Monterrey 12.3.1 is pending, and I could (and should) apply that. It's remotely possible the "fix" is in that, but doubtful.

Can't Share Screen of iMac M1 running Monterrey from MacMini Running Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.