Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my MacBook Pro 13 Faulty?

I have an a 2020 intel MBP 13 when I shut it down there is a strange flash of colour on the screen just before it goes black. It did this the very first time I shut it down the day I got it. It does it more often than not. Sometimes it is purple or blue but it is mostly like rainbow, should I get it looked at whilst it is still under warranty? I am also getting the spinning beach ball which I didn't expect on a brand new device. I had my mid 2012 for about two years before the beach ball made its first appearance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 7:47 PM

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

The "wait cursor" appears when your Mac is given too many tasks that it can keep up with.

You can certainly avail yourself of Apple's complimentary support for new Macs: Contact Support. Perhaps your Mac is faulty, and if it is you should get it fixed.

The multicolored screen that appears briefly on shutdown wouldn't concern me, although Apple ought to know about it so they might consider doing something about it. I don't shut down my Macs, essentially ever. They just work better that way.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Kimbo0113

Please determine if the same problems occur in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

The "wait cursor" appears when your Mac is given too many tasks that it can keep up with.

You can certainly avail yourself of Apple's complimentary support for new Macs: Contact Support. Perhaps your Mac is faulty, and if it is you should get it fixed.

The multicolored screen that appears briefly on shutdown wouldn't concern me, although Apple ought to know about it so they might consider doing something about it. I don't shut down my Macs, essentially ever. They just work better that way.

Nov 23, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Kimbo0113

I understand. Safe Mode will be instructive but I would definitely contact Apple about it. They will probably ask you to try Safe Mode anyway.

macOS manages its resources so effectively you really ought not to experience the "wait cursor" even if you were to open all the apps on your Mac simultaneously. One notorious exception might be Google Chrome, which litters a Mac with so much self-serving detritus it ought to be considered a virus. Google Chrome with only a few open tabs can bring any Mac to its knees (and I hear similar complaints from Windows users). But as long as you did not install Google I wouldn't expect the behavior you're describing.

You can readily identify resource-intensive apps or processes with Activity Monitor: View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support. Sort by %CPU to see the most demanding ones.

If you don't get anywhere or if you don't get a satisfactory response from Apple then please consider Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. Post its report in a reply to this Discussion if you wish. Instructions for doing that are in that User Tip.

Is my MacBook Pro 13 Faulty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.