Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 is not detecting Ethernet via USB-C Monitor, any ideas?

I use a Dell U2712DE which is a 2K USB-C/TB3 monitor with an Ethernet port, USB ports and audio jack. All of the USB ports and audio jack is working on the monitor to MBP via USB-C, but the Ethernet is not detected. I have a USB-C hub with ethernet, and that works on the MBP M1. What's the issue here?

My old intel MBP 2020 can do the ethernet via the monitor USB-C. So why can't the M1?

Anyone know anything about this? The weird part is Ethernet works via the USB-C hub, but not the USB-C monitor that has the ethernet port.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 22, 2020 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 11:54 AM

Hi there,

I had a similar situation using an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter on a MBP M1. It showed connected status but did not work with the same manual IP configuration used with an older Macbook Pro.

For me this worked (beware that I know my configuration details, so you may need to write down yours beforehand):

1. Remove the non-working network connection in System Preferences > Network using the "-" when selected
  2. Adding a new network connection using the "+" for the same interface (Apple USB Ethernet Adapter)
  3. Re-adding the connection details

My guess is this has to do with Apple Cloud configuration sharing magic that simply does not map to the correct network interfaces on the new device. But that is just a guess.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 11:54 AM in response to astrorager22

Hi there,

I had a similar situation using an Apple USB Ethernet Adapter on a MBP M1. It showed connected status but did not work with the same manual IP configuration used with an older Macbook Pro.

For me this worked (beware that I know my configuration details, so you may need to write down yours beforehand):

1. Remove the non-working network connection in System Preferences > Network using the "-" when selected
  2. Adding a new network connection using the "+" for the same interface (Apple USB Ethernet Adapter)
  3. Re-adding the connection details

My guess is this has to do with Apple Cloud configuration sharing magic that simply does not map to the correct network interfaces on the new device. But that is just a guess.

Nov 30, 2020 9:42 AM in response to astrorager22

I had this problem too... After a while of troubleshooting with Apple Chat and reinstalling my OS nothing worked.

I think I might have a solution though. At least it worked for me.

Go to settings > Select Network

Select the service (in my case "USB 10/100/1000 LAN") > Change Configure IPv4 from "Using DHCP" to "Using DHCP with manual address"

Type a correct IP address and you'll be connected to the internet

I was able to change it back to "Using DHCP" and still keep my connection afterwards, even after reconnecting.

I hope this might help some other people too and maybe help Apple to fix the bug.

Dec 18, 2020 7:32 PM in response to Community User

"Go to settings > Select Network

Select the service (in my case "USB 10/100/1000 LAN") > Change Configure IPv4 from "Using DHCP" to "Using DHCP with manual address"

Type a correct IP address and you'll be connected to the internet"

This worked for for with my Anker usb c hub. I did also have to download the drivers for the ethernet port from Anker first which is odd because I never needed drivers before.

MacBook Pro M1 is not detecting Ethernet via USB-C Monitor, any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.