Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive partition doesn't appear in finder

I have a WD external HD drive with 2 partitions. One of them is dedicated to my TM and the other is used for storing files. Lately, only the TM partition shows up in my finder and I have no access to the other one, though in disc utility, both appear mounted. I have tried to restart, to unmount and remount the partition, as well as the entire HD drive. I ran first aid in DU and I've also tried using different USB ports.

Nothing makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 5:48 AM

Thanks for you help. I was able to solve the problem on my own, so no need to change the topic, but I highly appreciate your kind offer!

My solution:

I selected the volume that did appear in Finder (the TM backup volume) and pressed eject.

After it was successfully ejected, the finder window displayed the other volumes that were still mounted, and the missing volume appeared on that list. I dragged it to the left side of the finder window and now it's there.

After I copy what's on it to the internal drive, I try to restart and see if it's still there... but even if it isn't, now I'll know how to access it in the future.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 5:48 AM in response to dndn

Thanks for you help. I was able to solve the problem on my own, so no need to change the topic, but I highly appreciate your kind offer!

My solution:

I selected the volume that did appear in Finder (the TM backup volume) and pressed eject.

After it was successfully ejected, the finder window displayed the other volumes that were still mounted, and the missing volume appeared on that list. I dragged it to the left side of the finder window and now it's there.

After I copy what's on it to the internal drive, I try to restart and see if it's still there... but even if it isn't, now I'll know how to access it in the future.

External drive partition doesn't appear in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.