Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 of 3 external USB drive volumes missing in Finder sidebar?

I backup 2 iMacs and 1 Windows PC on one external USB hard drive on even months and to another on odd months. There are 3 partitions containing one volume on each drive. I only connect a drive to a computer when it’s time to do a backup. Until this month, Finder showed all 3 volumes in the sidebar for either drive. This month, it only shows 2 for either drive on either iMac. But if I select the iMac in the Sidebar’s Locations, Finder displays all 3 volumes in the iMac’s contents. If I click the volume missing in the Sidebar, Finder displays the contents of that volume with no complaint. Files on that volume Open normally. Any idea why the volume doesn’t appear in the Sidebar?

macOS version on both iMacs is 12.6. I don't know what it was a month ago which is the last time I know Finder displayed all 3 volumes.

The structure of the two USB hard drives is somewhat different:

In Sidebar?

Drive1 Partition 1 macOS Extended (Journaled) Yes

Partition 2 APFS No

Partition 3 Windows NTFS Yes

Drive2 Partition 1 APFS No

Partition 2 APFS Yes

Partition 3 Windows NTFS Yes

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 10:35 AM

You can drag a volume out of the sidebar to not show it. Maybe that happened or it was a glitch. You could drag it back in or use Sidebar tab in Finder Preferences to re-add the drive. The checkbox will likely have a - in it instead of check to show that it is activated, but some things were removed.

Similar questions

2 replies

1 of 3 external USB drive volumes missing in Finder sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.