Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 will not "restore" or "Update"

I was trying to Update and back-up my iPhone 8 to my computer. Nothing unusual or fancy, just the simple procedure of connecting my perfectly good and functioning iPhone to the computer, starting iTunes and selecting "download and update". Everything was going fine and then it crashed part way though the iOS install! iTunes said some error message (error14 maybe?) and my iPhone has never started since. It just has the "support.apple.com/iphone/restore" words on top with a picture of a computer and a lightening cable pointing to it. I've tried EVERYTHING automated apple support recommends to fix this problem, watched MANY YouTube tutorial videos, I spent a long time with Apple support on the phone and I spent hours of research time looking online for answers. Nothing worked.

Is there any way to fix this or is my iPhone a brick for good? If its a hardware issue, what is most likely causing the problem? Is it a common thing for a simple update to cause hardware issues?

Errors I think I found in the log:

</dict>

</plist>

Received 234 bytes:

idevicerestore_\common.c:printing 234 bytes plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Command</key>

<string>Payload</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Filesystem validated

Sending filesystem now...

### Asr Validating the filesystem...[20]

### Asr Validating the filesystem...[21]

### Asr Validating the filesystem...[21]

FDR 038FCBD0 timeout waiting for command

FDR 038FCBD0 waiting for message...

### Asr Validating the filesystem...[22]

FDR 038FCBD0 timeout waiting for command

FDR 038FCBD0 waiting for message...

ERROR: Unable to send data to ASR. Sent 0 of 20 bytes.

ERROR: Unable to send chunk checksum

ERROR: Unable to send payload to ASR

ERROR: Unable to send filesystem

ERROR: Unable to successfully restore device

ERROR: Unable to receive message from FDR 038FCBD0 (-4). 0/2 bytes

FDR 038FCBD0 terminating...

No data to read,err = -256,retry=1

ERROR: Unable to restore device

repair FAIL !err=-2

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 7:35 AM

Hi,

As a professional I have seen this problem several times. It is caused by software corruption in the device's OS, often caused by a lack of spare storage space . When doing an update from iTunes (to retain your data) there is not enough free space to update the OS and it crashes with this message "Unable to send data to ASR. Sent 0 of 20 bytes." ASR = Apple System Restore. iTunes ERROR is typically 14 and if using 3uTools it is -2

There is no way around this I'm afraid, I have looked into many options but there are none around that I or the communities belong to know about. If you "restore" your device from iTunes it will almost certainly work but you will have lost your data. I know you have said you have tried "restore" but often this is just confusion over terms. If an iTunes "restore" really doesn't work, then try putting the device into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) and try again or try 3uTools. DFU mode bypasses some of the initial boot processes and allows any version of IOS to be loaded.

Best of luck

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Leesch

Hi,

As a professional I have seen this problem several times. It is caused by software corruption in the device's OS, often caused by a lack of spare storage space . When doing an update from iTunes (to retain your data) there is not enough free space to update the OS and it crashes with this message "Unable to send data to ASR. Sent 0 of 20 bytes." ASR = Apple System Restore. iTunes ERROR is typically 14 and if using 3uTools it is -2

There is no way around this I'm afraid, I have looked into many options but there are none around that I or the communities belong to know about. If you "restore" your device from iTunes it will almost certainly work but you will have lost your data. I know you have said you have tried "restore" but often this is just confusion over terms. If an iTunes "restore" really doesn't work, then try putting the device into DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade) and try again or try 3uTools. DFU mode bypasses some of the initial boot processes and allows any version of IOS to be loaded.

Best of luck

iPhone 8 will not "restore" or "Update"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.