Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues reinstalling os10 on MacBook Pro (2012)

Hi, I’ve recently upgraded my Mac so have backed up, erased discs and tried to reinstall the original software on my MacBook Pro.

I realised that I erased disks in the wrong order (HDD data before HDD) will I have done any damage?

I’m trying to reboot and reinstall the original OS but it appears to be stuck looking for a disc image to install Yosemite on. It’s been a couple of hours now and still no disc image appearing so can’t complete installation 😢

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Make sure to use Disk Utility to erase the whole physical drive before installing a fresh macOS. With macOS 10.13+ you will need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 6:49 PM in response to Hipchickate

Make sure to use Disk Utility to erase the whole physical drive before installing a fresh macOS. With macOS 10.13+ you will need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

Dec 1, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Hipchickate

Hello Hipchickate,

After reviewing your post, it seems like you want to reinstall macOS on the MacBook Pro. There are a couple things you can try that may be able to help. We would recommend you use this article to help troubleshoot the issue.

• "On an Intel-based Mac: Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then immediately press and hold one of these key combinations, depending on what you want to do, until you see a spinning globe appear:
    • Install the latest version of macOS compatible with your computer: Press and hold Option-Command-R.
    • Reinstall your computer’s original version of macOS (including available updates): Press and hold Shift-Option-Command-R.
    • Reinstall the version of macOS stored on your computer’s built-in recovery disk: Press and hold Command-R."

Reinstall macOS

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Issues reinstalling os10 on MacBook Pro (2012)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.