Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-instal of MacOs could not find disk even though Disk Utility verified disk: 2, 128 ssd is Ok.

After failing to recover from the black out screen of Mac Big Sur on my MacBook Air I erased the hard drive to re-instal the older operating system. I used Disc Utility to check the disk and verified it was ok then attempted to re-instal Mac Yosemite X OS; I clicked on the button to agree with terms and conditions of using the OS and the screen displayed an image of Mac Yosemite X OS, with a request to click on what hard drive to instal the Mac Os to.

Usually there is an image of Mac hard drive(s) to choose from however, the hard drive image was not there. In addition the ‘next’ button was greyed out. The hard drive is there for the Disc Utility ‘verified’ and ‘repair drive’ displayed all ok!

I attempted to instal the Mac OS twice more but to no avail, can anyone offer a solution or advice?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 5:19 AM

Dear Eua Rouge,

I followed your instructions above and the disk was found. Thank you for taking the time to read my request for help and solving the problem; I presume software updates for my MacBook Air will download automatically, I hope so!

All my other files and images are on iCloud so, I will try to load Big Sur at a later date.

Again, Thank You.

Terence (T.C.A.)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 5:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Dear Eua Rouge,

I followed your instructions above and the disk was found. Thank you for taking the time to read my request for help and solving the problem; I presume software updates for my MacBook Air will download automatically, I hope so!

All my other files and images are on iCloud so, I will try to load Big Sur at a later date.

Again, Thank You.

Terence (T.C.A.)

Feb 17, 2021 5:44 AM in response to t c a

When you get Yosemite reinstalled, open the App Store Updates page and download and install

any available updates.

If you want to go back to Big Sur I would recommend upgrading to macOS High Sierra.

Open your Safari browser and click on this link,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to the Download OS section and click on macOS High Sierra.

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you want to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are offering 64bit updates.

Feb 16, 2021 10:02 PM in response to t c a

If you were running macOS Big Sur then your mac would be running on the APFS file system.

Mac OS X Yosemite only runs on disks formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the HFS+

file system.

Any OS X older than El Capitan such as Yosemite cannot see APFS formatted drives.

What you need to do is reformat the Disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Restart your mac while pressing and holding down the Command and R keys so you boot up to your

Recovery HD.

From the Utilities panel click on Disk Utility and press Continue.

Click on View in the menubar and select Show All Devices.

On the left side of Disk Utility highlight the Disk not any of the indented Volumes or Containers.

The Disk will probably be called Apple SSD… or similar, click on that.

Click on Erase.

Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map.

Click Erase.

When Done quit Disk Utility.

Click on Install OS press Continue.

The mac should now connect with Apples Servers and download the OS.

Make sure your mac is connected to your router via cable.

Re-instal of MacOs could not find disk even though Disk Utility verified disk: 2, 128 ssd is Ok.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.