Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messenger not working

Since the 14.2 update, messages sent via Messenger are taking forever to send, if they send at all. Several conversations have disappeared and I cannot use video or audio chat. I need this for work. The same thing is happening on my ipad. Wifi connection is excellent so it's not a connectivity issue.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 12:21 PM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2020 2:15 PM in response to alysonfromon

Hi alysonfromon,

We appreciate you reaching out through Apple Support Communities for help with your Messenger app. We'd love to help in any way we can.

So that we're on the same page, please let us know more about what's going on. Is this affecting only the Messenger app from Facebook, or are you also noticing similar behavior in other apps, such as the native Messages app?

Since Messenger is a third-party app, we may have to refer directly to the developers at Facebook who support it, if we determine your devices are otherwise working as expected.

Although you mentioned that the Wi-Fi signal is excellent, will it be possible to test again while using another Wi-Fi network, or cellular data? This can help to further isolate the issue.

If it's occurring regardless of the Wi-Fi or cellular network used, let us know what happens after restarting your device. This guide has the recommended steps for a standard restart:

Restart your iPhone

We're here for you if you've got any questions!

Have a great day.

Dec 2, 2020 5:16 AM in response to raina_b22

I have tested all my devices on a second wifi network - one with even more strength than mine. It’s the same situation using cellular data. The messages in Messenger still take an extended time to send.

This is not affecting the Messages app - only Messenger.

I have already sent in a problem report to Facebook about this but they aren’t likely to reply 🙁

My phone has been restarted, and also completely restored to factory settings with no success.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer!

Dec 2, 2020 7:52 AM in response to alysonfromon

Hi alysonfromon,

Thanks so much for keeping us updated. Since your iPhone is otherwise working as expected in other apps, you've taken great troubleshooting steps to isolate this issue to the network connection, or to the Messenger app itself.

If you find that the issue remains even while your iPhone is joined to different Wi-Fi networks, this indicates an issue with the app itself. At that point, as Messenger is a third-party app supported by Facebook, you'll want to continue working with Facebook support directly at that point.

Take care!

Messenger not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.