Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Skip Backup When Syncing an iPhone on Catalina

It seems this question just keeps going around and around without a proper answer.

Mostly, people who answer don't read the question properly.

The key point is that one needs to sync music to one's iphone WITHOUT skipping the backup process entirely.

If I'm in the middle of an intense practice session on the drums and I stop to rework a backing track in Logic Pro, I want the new version on my iPhone straight away, so I can get back to the drum kit.

There really should be an easy way to skip the backup process to only sync the music, when required.

I have to say I'm feeling like a lot of others on this forum. I've been a Mac user since 1989 and I'm getting sick of what has been happening to the Apple brand in recent years.

Has anyone tried this with Big Sur? Has it improved there? I can't update to Big Sur at the moment.

I have a mid 2012 11" MacBook Air and a 2017 13" MacBook Pro, both running up to date Catalina.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 8:28 AM

I'm in a similar situation. I routinely add and remove songs from my phone, and don't want to backup every single time.

I have found a solution that works for me (YMMV).

In the "General" tab for syncing your iPhone in Finder, uncheck the box that says "Backup to this Mac", then eject and reconnect your iPhone.

If you actually do backup locally to your computer, you may want to check that box again at some point. I occasionally do, simply because I have a lot more local disk space than iCloud storage.

Hopefully this works for you though.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 8:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

I'm in a similar situation. I routinely add and remove songs from my phone, and don't want to backup every single time.

I have found a solution that works for me (YMMV).

In the "General" tab for syncing your iPhone in Finder, uncheck the box that says "Backup to this Mac", then eject and reconnect your iPhone.

If you actually do backup locally to your computer, you may want to check that box again at some point. I occasionally do, simply because I have a lot more local disk space than iCloud storage.

Hopefully this works for you though.

Dec 3, 2020 9:04 PM in response to polydigm

I just connected my iPhone again to verify what I said. In the General tab of the Finder window for your iPhone, there is a section named Backups: You have two options

• Backup your most relevant data in your iPhone to iCloud
  • Backup all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac

Make sure that the "...this Mac" option is not selected

Then, eject and reconnect your iPhone. After which, you should be able to sync without backing up. This method has worked for me for over a year without any issues.

Dec 3, 2020 2:02 PM in response to Barney-15E

@Barney-15E

Because of the limitations of this forum, unlike say StackExchange, I can't edit my posts after a short time interval, so I have to scatter my corrections about the place.

I didn't mean IN the new Music App, I meant WITH. That is, if I want to use the Music app to organise my music and then sync parts of it onto my iPhone, then whatever the particulars of how Catalina does that, there really should be the ability to do it separately from backing up.

Dec 3, 2020 2:02 PM in response to AGuyOnWheels

@AGuyOnWheels

You're not using sync though are you? We used to be able to skip backup when syncing on previous systems.

The definitive answer I'm looking for will be that either (1) the skip backup, while syncing, functionality, in Catalina, is broken and will be fixed at some point or, (2) Apple, in it's wisdom, has decided to drop that feature.

Dec 3, 2020 3:10 PM in response to polydigm

I'm not sure what you mean by "you're not using sync"

As far as I'm aware, syncing is the only way to get music, movies, and playlists onto the iPhone from a Mac.

Using the method I described in my previous post, I have never had any issues syncing my library from my computer to my phone (I'm assuming I am syncing when I press the sync button).

And I don't need to backup beforehand -- that's what I thought you wanted. Sorry if I somehow misunderstood.

Dec 3, 2020 7:16 PM in response to AGuyOnWheels

@AGuyOnWheels

It was a question, that could have been answered with "No, I am using sync as normal". Questions with negatives are tricky. I just wanted to clarify that, because I have suggestions of turning backup off before, that involved doing the song updating manually, which is real backward step from the convenience we had previously.

So, you're saying that if your iPhone doesn't back up on the computer in question, you can still sync it as usual? If so, your input is helpful, thanks. At least it's a workaround until Apple comes up with something better.

You used to be able to click on an icon to skip the backup process. If you click on the cross in the new finder interface, it doesn't stop, which is why I brought up the possibility of the process being broken.

I'm also not impressed with Apple's handling of the process of moving from an old music library file into the new Music format. There's a lot of grief out there on there internet about how it's affected many people. I've had some trouble with it, but now seem to have crossed that bridge. I got my first Mac, a second hand SE, back in 1989 and I'm not feeling the Apple thing these days, the way I used to.

Dec 4, 2020 10:15 AM in response to polydigm

polydigm wrote:

On my system it's a choice between "this Mac" and "iCloud". They're not tick boxes, they're toggled options, you have to have one or the other.

Come on Apple, why does this have to be so restrictive and difficult?

Alright then, so it’s a toggle. That doesn’t invalidate what I said in any way. If you want to sync without backing up, I gave you the exact method I use. Did it solve your problem? Are you still having issues?

I’m trying to assist, but your last response didn’t give me any information to work with.

Dec 4, 2020 2:34 PM in response to AGuyOnWheels

AGuyOnWheels wrote:

I’m trying to assist, but your last response didn’t give me any information to work with.

My apologies. This isn't the first thread on this question and I only started this because I couldn't add to any of the others. I really don't like Apple's community forum setup. Stack Exchange has a much better forum model.

You have been helpful, thanks.

I was assuming too much in my last post. I just assumed you'd read between the lines. The fact that it's a toggle is a problem if you don't want either option. You should just be able to turn off "backup to this computer" without having to choose iCloud backups.

I've spent at least two decades looking forward to and then relishing new MacOS versions, but not any more. I have had some huge problems with the last few. Since iTunes has been a thing I've been building up an iTunes library with hours and hours of effort building a system that makes it straightforward to use directly and sync a suitable subset to my iPhone. It appears to me that Apple is showing less and less regard about upgrade difficulties.

It seems to me that Apple is going to have to fix this situation, or I will be forced to have to find, and pay for, a decent third party alternative. I could use iMazing, but as we've seen you can't totally separate syncing from some form of backup. I will use the iCloud backup method for now, but I'm not happy about it.

Managing music and iPhone backup really should be separate. After this post I'll be posting a bug report about the skip backup button (the cross next to your phone in the phone in the Finder Sidebar ) not responding. I'll also be giving some feedback about the backup versus sync situation. I won't be holding my breath, because I've done that before to no avail.

Dec 4, 2020 7:42 PM in response to polydigm

Okay, I think I get what you are saying now. I was more focused on the "an easy way to skip the backup process to only sync the music" part of your question.

As to the backup process being completely separate from syncing... I would mostly agree with you there, though I do enjoy having Finder be a general hub for managing connected iDevices; that makes a certain degree of sense to me.

Anyway, with the settings I shared with you, I have never been forced to backup prior to syncing, so that should solve your immediate problem. As for the rest, that is entirely up to Apple, and right now they have their hands full with Big Sur from what I can see.

How To Skip Backup When Syncing an iPhone on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.