Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone sound level restriction

Hi. Just updated my iPhone 11 with recent software update and it’s dictating headphone sound level. I don’t use headphones but a Bluetooth speaker. Out of the blue it now dumps the volume. Very annoying and will definitely be a deciding factor when it’s time to renew phone contract.

Apple butt out 😡😡

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 7:50 AM

SeriousM4x wrote:

Don’t understand me wrong. I think it’s a good law, but Apple kinda implemented it wrong.

The law does not apply to bluetooth headphones and it should be overridable by the user to 100dB anyway.

The 7-day level implementation must be a mistake.

24 replies

Nov 24, 2020 4:18 AM in response to Furloughmonkey

It should be your choice, Put in a feature request here

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Iphone cannot distinguish bluetooth speakers from airpods. I guess it shows a headphone symbol? I use a speaker with active amplification and turn that up.

The notifications cannot be turned off but you should still be able to override to higher volume with those settings. How often do you get the notifications and the volume go down?

Nov 25, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Furloughmonkey

This is the only article I can find and describes the situation and shows that the switch has been removed.

https://piunikaweb.com/2020/11/23/ios-14-2-update-disables-option-to-turn-off-headphones-safety-setting/

I suggest you put in a feature request because this goes beyond the EU and WHO requirements which can be overridden..

Feedback

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Dec 3, 2020 5:54 AM in response to Furloughmonkey

I listen to a lot of music in my car via Bluetooth, so every couple of days I get this alert. The only fix I’m aware of is to delete the last seven days of headphone audio data from Apple Health. It’s super obnoxious and insulting since I don’t even listen to my music that loud and it usually happens when I can’t safely access my phone (since I’m driving). Hopefully Apple addresses the issue, because it’s happening to a lot of customers. Customers who just shelled out 1.5K for a new phone and accessories.

Dec 5, 2020 9:46 AM in response to Furloughmonkey

This is a Major problem for me!!!

Since lockdown I have started running to keep physically fit, but mainly for the mental health benefits the pains of running bring.

Music is my life and I have to listen to it to enable me to run!

Ironically, listening to loud music at gigs, at home, in the car on headphones, has already ruined my hearing - high frequencies are gone for me without hearing aids or graphic equalisers

I do not want to stop every ten minutes to turn my sound back up to 11!

I live in England and despite voting Remain, my understanding was that we are out of the EU and any restrictions such as this?

Apple need to sort this as a matter of urgency!

Dec 5, 2020 11:40 AM in response to poggit

“...I live in England and despite voting Remain, my understanding was that we are out of the EU and any restrictions such as this? ...”

It seems to affect people all over the world, bit not all. The only EU directive I can find dates back to 2013 and had always been voluntary. I think this is a mess up.

Headphone sound level restriction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.