Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen capture app not working

Hi,

I've always used the screen capture app: I find it more practical to use then the keyboard shortcuts or capturing from preview.

Since I installed Big Sur, it stop working.

When I do a capture, after selecting what portion of the screen I want, I click capture, the selection square turns white, and everything else around turns gray. The image is not captured and the only way I found tu put the screen back to normal is to restart my mac.

Anybody has a solution for this ?

I use a macbook pro 16.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 8:56 AM

Hello Joel,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to use the screen capture feature on your Mac as expected after updating to macOS Big Sur. First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Joel Bentz

Hello Joel,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to use the screen capture feature on your Mac as expected after updating to macOS Big Sur. First, try running First Aid on your hard drive with the built in Disk Utility tool, as this can correct simple issues like you're experiencing.

Disk Utility for Mac: Repair a disk using Disk Utility

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Cheers!

Screen capture app not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.