Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - Charging Problem

Hi,

I am encountering a charging problem with my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. This is what happened and what I have already done in order to solve the issue, unsuccessfully so far :

The Mac was in perfect working condition, running the latest up to date supported operating system. Suddenly, the MacBook did not charge anymore. The cable was plugged in, the green light always on (which is already a first issue, as it should turn orange to indicate that the charging is going on). When it was still working and running, the battery in the menu bar indicated that the battery was not charging and that the current power source came from the power supply (which is also odd, because the battery was drained during the use of the MacBook).

So far, regarding other forum topics, I have done the following, in this particular order :

• Restarted the computer (obviously). This did not work.
  • Replaced the battery (it was very very weak over the years and needed to be replaced). This did not work.
  • Reset the SMC (did this a few times). This did not work.
  • Proceded to a replacement of the MacBook's Magsafe DC In-board (Followed an iFixit tutorial). This did not work.
  • Rest the SMC again. This did not work.

I am starting to believe that is may indicate a motherboard issue, that is unsolvable without replacing the whole thing). Has someone had the same problem and got it working again?

As it is a 10+ year old machine, I was especially looking forward to keeping it as long as possible because I do not plan on buying another computer...

Many thanks for any help that can be brought !

Thomas

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 6:25 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 24, 2020 6:46 AM in response to thomas.vankerckhove

thomas.vankerckhove wrote:

• Hi,

I am encountering a charging problem with my Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro. This is what happened and what I have already done in order to solve the issue, unsuccessfully so far :

The Mac was in perfect working condition, running the latest up to date supported operating system. Suddenly, the MacBook did not charge anymore. The cable was plugged in, the green light always on (which is already a first issue, as it should turn orange to indicate that the charging is going on). When it was still working and running, the battery in the menu bar indicated that the battery was not charging and that the current power source came from the power supply (which is also odd, because the battery was drained during the use of the MacBook).

So far, regarding other forum topics, I have done the following, in this particular order :

Restarted the computer (obviously). This did not work.
• Replaced the battery (it was very very weak over the years and needed to be replaced). This did not work.
Reset the SMC (did this a few times). This did not work.
• Proceded to a replacement of the MacBook's Magsafe DC In-board (Followed an iFixit tutorial). This did not work.
• Rest the SMC again. This did not work.

I am starting to believe that is may indicate a motherboard issue, that is unsolvable without replacing the whole thing). Has someone had the same problem and got it working again?

As it is a 10+ year old machine, I was especially looking forward to keeping it as long as possible because I do not plan on buying another computer...

Many thanks for any help that can be brought !

There are controllers on the logic board— have you tested those?

Did you test the DC-in board before you installed it?

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - Charging Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.