Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air external display keeps waking up

I have an M1 MacBook Air connected by USB-C to an LG 27UK850-W 4K monitor. The screen has been waking up frequently when the MacBook is asleep. It never exhibited this behavior with my previous computer, a 2018 15" MacBook Pro. Both computers are running macOS 11.0.1.

Basically what will happen is I will put the computer to sleep, and then every ten minutes or so the screen will "wake" but not fully "turn on." So the backlight will come on, but the screen will remain black, and then it will turn itself back off after a minute.

Doesn't seem like something that would be harmful, but it's definitely a bit annoying. If I remember to switch the monitor to a different input, it stops waking by itself and continues to charge the MacBook over USB-C, so that's been my workaround. Just curious whether anyone else was experiencing something similar?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 3:12 PM

Hey! I’ve got the same problem with my Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro.

It really, really annoys me! Especially because I’m sleeping in the same room as I‘m working, and this also happens during nighttime.

Just because I‘m curious, have you ever installed the program TimeMachineEditor?

108 replies

Jan 7, 2021 2:35 PM in response to CoolAsPuppy

I might have stumbled upon a fix, this might have something to do with a display driver or color profile not loading over usb-c.

I installed LG Calibration Studio and stopped having the issue, this app also seems to load the LG HDR 4K color profile. The calibration studio app can also be uninstalled and the color profile will stay.

I also noticed an improvement in colors and contrast on my monitor. They were a bit washed out previously compared to my MacBook Pro Retina 2014 connected to the same display via thunderbolt to display port cable. The MacBook Pro Retina 2014 loaded the LG HDR 4K color profile automatically.

Jan 9, 2021 2:46 PM in response to SupportLaurens

Hey, I actually did this to try and control my audio from my keyboard but now every time I close the lid of my m1 macbook air my monitor goes to sleep!

Here's what happened.

• I tried to install SoundSource (a sister app of Loopback), but it didn't install correctly.
  • I booted in recovery mode and switched to reduced security.
  • I booted up again and I was able to then install a kernel extension. Even with that installation, I still wasn't able to open SoundSource (it was still asking me to do the "allow" thing)
  • I uninstalled SoundSource and switched the security mode back. Now my external monitor goes to sleep every time I close the lid of my mac, and won't wake up unless I disconnect/reconnect the HDMI.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Feb 4, 2021 9:21 AM in response to Jeremy K.

Same issue here with a Dell U3421WE connected via USB-C to my new MacBook Air M1. And when returning to my computer this morning, I've had "hundreds" of notification messages telling me to properly disconnect an external hard drive - see screenshot. Totally annoying! I'm asking myself whether I shall return the Dell oder the MacBook ...

Jan 7, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Jeremy K.

i am also having exactly same issue with my m1 air and lg 27gn950 with usb c to dp cable but when i use hdmi everything seems to work perfectly no issues at all.actually the m1 macs have issues with usb c connection to monitor but with hdmi it is mostly working well. hoping, the new upcoming macos11.2 will fix these issues.

Jan 8, 2021 2:19 AM in response to uttam33

I don't quite recall which profile it was loading, could have been SMPTE DCI (P3). I've been testing it for over a week now with the LG HDR 4K profile. Which color profile does it load for you?

I actually installed the calibration studio app because I wasn't satisfied with the colors compared to my previous setup, MacBook Pro Retina 2014 connected with Thunderbolt to DisplayPort cable.

Jan 8, 2021 2:32 AM in response to Zain_A

in my case, it used to select the lg27gn950 as a colour profile and i was having this issue of my monitor waking up frequently searching for signal and automatically going to sleep. unfortunately, i dont have my m1air with me as i am waiting for the replacement because it had colour uniformity issues.once, i receive my replacement the first thing i will do is installing the lg calibration studio.

M1 MacBook Air external display keeps waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.