Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Memory Leak Issue

I am currently running the new Safari 14.0.1 on the new 2020 M1 Macbook pro. I am running into an issue where it is regularly experiencing a mermory leak showing Safari taking 30-50GB of memory. This is happening multiple times a day at this point and does not matter what/how many tabs I have open. I have seen others having the same problem, but have yet to see any note about apple currently working on the problem or any sort of bug tracking. Seeing as this greatly affects my work flow I would love if anyone has any information on either:

A. A bug tracker showing that Apple is currently working on a solution

B. A workaround for fixing it (besides switching browsers)

Thank you,

Dillon

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:24 AM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2020 9:11 PM in response to dilloncwheeler

dilloncwheeler wrote:

I am currently running the new Safari 14.0.1 on the new 2020 M1 Macbook pro. I am running into an issue where it is regularly experiencing a mermory leak showing Safari taking 30-50GB of memory. This is happening multiple times a day at this point and does not matter what/how many tabs I have open. I have seen others having the same problem, but have yet to see any note about apple currently working on the problem or any sort of bug tracking. Seeing as this greatly affects my work flow I would love if anyone has any information on either:

A. A bug tracker showing that Apple is currently working on a solution
B. A workaround for fixing it (besides switching browsers)

Thank you,
Dillon

I'm having the exact same problem regularly using up 40-50gb of memory usually because of safari before crashing and running out of memory. I was about to return my Macbook and buy another thinking it was a hardware fault with the unified memory but I haven't heard it being reported elsewhere until now.

Safari Memory Leak Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.