Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing duplicates of the same person in Photos People

How do I removing duplicates of the same person in Photos People.

Doing a search in the People Library in Photos for myself, I find 5 results for me and they each contain different groups of photos. How can I resolve that?

I tried dragging on on top of the other with different function keys and selecting the 5 followed by right clicking without getting any options.

Paul

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 12:30 PM

Which version of macOS do you have installed?

In the recent versions of Photos you should simply be able to drag the thumbnail of a person onto another thumbnail of the person while viewing the People album (without holding down any keys). Then Photos should ask you, if the two people are the same.

See: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/view-photos-by-whos-in-them-phtad9d981ab/mac

Combine photos of a person into one group
If you find more than one group of photos that identify the same person, you can combine the groups. 
In the Photos app  on your Mac, click People in the sidebar.
Select the groups of photos that you want to combine.
Control-click one group, then choose Merge [number] People.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 12:30 PM in response to Paul Kleeberg

Which version of macOS do you have installed?

In the recent versions of Photos you should simply be able to drag the thumbnail of a person onto another thumbnail of the person while viewing the People album (without holding down any keys). Then Photos should ask you, if the two people are the same.

See: https://support.apple.com/guide/photos/view-photos-by-whos-in-them-phtad9d981ab/mac

Combine photos of a person into one group
If you find more than one group of photos that identify the same person, you can combine the groups. 
In the Photos app  on your Mac, click People in the sidebar.
Select the groups of photos that you want to combine.
Control-click one group, then choose Merge [number] People.

Nov 24, 2020 1:01 PM in response to léonie

I apologize. I should have included that info:

Mac:: Catalina 10.15.7

Photos: 5.0

I had read that and it did not appear to work for me.

Interestingly, only one version of me appears in the list of people.. However it is when I search for me is when I find the 5 different groups of photos of me. Each group has different photos. Also when I click on my name in the list of people, I can click on my name in the upper left and I am given a drop down to change the name. Four other listings of my name appear the dropdown.

I am sure that a lot of junk has accused ini this file after the 20 years I have used iPhoto and Photos with all the transitions and updates

Any ideas?

Paul

Removing duplicates of the same person in Photos People

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.