Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fonts in mail are f'ed up since upgrade to Big Sur

I can't be the only one experiencing this... fonts in mail are just not working like they should.

Half of the time, the new mail will look ok, yet, the other half... font is unreadable.

I get boxed question marks.

Then, when I attempt to forward an email... most of the text turns into boxed question marks.

This stuff only started with the update to macOS 11 (Big Sur).

I've attempted to change the fonts, nothing seems to work.

Frustrating is not the word I'd use!

Is there a fix for this? Or, is it a bug that Apple needs to fix?

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 4:35 PM

Hi SirSpinach1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We can see from the photo that your email fonts aren't showing as expected. We certainly want to get this resolved for you, and we're happy to help.

We recommend restarting your Mac in safe mode and then testing if the issue continues from there. You can see how to restart in safe mode, and the steps to take if the issue does or does not continue there in the resource below.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Thanks.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 4:35 PM in response to SirSpinach1

Hi SirSpinach1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We can see from the photo that your email fonts aren't showing as expected. We certainly want to get this resolved for you, and we're happy to help.

We recommend restarting your Mac in safe mode and then testing if the issue continues from there. You can see how to restart in safe mode, and the steps to take if the issue does or does not continue there in the resource below.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2020 9:41 AM in response to dangerboydesign

The only activated versions of Arial in my Suitcase are system fonts and are locked. I used "Inspect Element" to turn off the font styling for gibbled text in Safari, and the text turned legible (but not Arial... Maybe Georgia or Times?). The problem also went away when i forced FMCore to quit in Activity Monitor. So it's definitely a problem with Arial, and maybe related to Suitcase, but I have no clue how to resolve it. Help!

Dec 11, 2020 1:51 PM in response to Leanne_68

I have had this same problem since upgrading to Big Sur. I've tried validating fonts and restoring standard fonts in Font Book. I've removed caches, disabled Suitcase Fusion, reinstalled the OS, etc etc. Some fixes have worked for a few minutes, but it always reverts back to text replaced by question marks in Mail and Safari. This is a ridiculous problem to have on what are supposed to be the best computers out there. I wasn't even going to do the move to Big Sur, but I was getting sick of the pop-up reminders multiple times a day. It amazes me that Apple would release an OS with a fundamental flaw like this. So far the only option seems to be to go back to the previous OS and hope they fix this issue in Big Sur before trying again. It doesn't fiil me with any kind of confidence.

The below screen shot was taken after trying every solution I could find online. This is a major stress and a juge waste of time for someone who uses their computer all day for work.

Dec 12, 2020 5:10 PM in response to dangerboydesign

I've found that some fonts I use in Suitcase get this crap going. Disable them, restart mail, and it works correctly. Why Apple hasn't fixed this on their own... is just a sign that someone didn't do their job.

Apple took control of hundreds of fonts last year... didn't have a problem then.

We, as users, purchasers of Apple products should NOT have to jump through hoops to simply use their products.

This is obviously a major bug.

Dec 17, 2020 9:30 AM in response to SirSpinach1

So I've noticed that this problem goes away when I restart my computer, but comes back within a few minutes regardless of whether Suitcase is running or not. It also looks like the font that can't resolve is arial which is a pretty standard system font. I guess I can disable the variations of Arial in Suitcase and see if that fixes things...

fonts in mail are f'ed up since upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.