Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts displaying as question marks in Apple Mail on Big Sur

with question marks. The fonts in question were not Arial or Helvetica, as mentioned in other threads. I deleted all font caches, reset to default fonts… no Extensis Suitcase yet. Still the same problem:

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 9:38 AM

I fixed this today, after days of seeing threads about Helvetical and Arial… thought the fonts being displayed wrong were never either of these. I resetting everything, including "Restore Standard Fonts…".

The I found an ALIAS called "Arial Unicode.ttf" in this location:

/Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf

This file points to the original font ( /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental ), which needs to stay the same. But removing the ALIAS fixed the problem! :)

As it's already in the System fonts i see no reason for there to be an alias there!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Simon Beer1

I fixed this today, after days of seeing threads about Helvetical and Arial… thought the fonts being displayed wrong were never either of these. I resetting everything, including "Restore Standard Fonts…".

The I found an ALIAS called "Arial Unicode.ttf" in this location:

/Library/Fonts/Arial Unicode.ttf

This file points to the original font ( /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental ), which needs to stay the same. But removing the ALIAS fixed the problem! :)

As it's already in the System fonts i see no reason for there to be an alias there!

Fonts displaying as question marks in Apple Mail on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.