Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail font not displaying

Over the last few years when I have upgraded OS on my 2017 iMac (and on previous Macs) fonts have frequently not displayed properly and I get loads of question marks in black boxes where letters should be in received mail (see image). I can only resolve it (though not always) by quitting Mail and re-booting it.

For many years I have never managed to resolve this issue and it usually settles down after a few months, probably because of an update somewhere but recently I have had this issue persistently since installing Big Sur and would welcome some help to resolve it. the issue has also affected Safari in the past to the point where I had to switch to Chrome several years ago.

I am a 20+ years graphic designer using Adobe Creative Suite and Extensis Suitcase, all latest versions. I assume there is a font clash or something but have no idea how to resolve it. Any help would be most gratefully received! Thanks.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 11:30 AM

Corrupted fonts are a major source of performance problems, and crashes.

Font Book ships with macOS and one its features is to validate fonts, to make sure they are ok. Corrupted fonts should be deleted.

3 replies

Apple Mail font not displaying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.