You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music widget stuck on lock screen when bluetooth headset is connected.

Since the new update, whenever my bluetooth headset is connected, there's an empty music widget in the lock screen that says "(name of connected device) Not Playing" and takes up half the screen.

If I hit play, it starts playing random music from my itunes, but double pressing home doesn't show the music app open. I have to open music, hit pause, then force close it but the widget reverts to "Not Playing." Based on the other similar topics I've found, this was apparently a bug from a number of years ago that's back to haunt us but no one ever figured out a fix for until a new update came out.

Here's everything I've tried:

1) Disconnecting, forgetting, and reconnecting bluetooth headset

2) Powering off and on the phone

3) Hard restart of the phone

4) Removing all music apps

5) Turning of all music notifications

a) in notifications > Music > do not allow notifications

b) in Touch ID & Passcode > Today (off)

c) in settings > Music > do not show Apple Music

I've done everything but reset my phone because I'm pretty sure this is an iOS bug so it won't help and will only make me have to spend a ton more time reconfiguring everything. The only thing that works is turning off my bluetooth headset but that's not helpful when I need to keep it connected for potential incoming calls.

Does anyone have any ideas beyond all of the suggestions I've tried that were pulled from previous similar issues?? It's incredibly annoying to have a useless widget taking up over half my lock screen and occasionally accidentally playing music.

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 3:52 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 4, 2020 11:27 AM in response to UserOneTwoThreeTwoOne

This began on my iPhone 8 Plus after a recent update. I have also done all the same things you have to remove it and it disappears briefly, but comes right back. It's driving me nuts! APPLE support PLEASE provide a fix to this, or at least respond to this thread, clearly others are currently having the same issue. BTW, this same issue occurred a couple of years ago after an update and it took months to resolve. Occasionally, my AirPods will even start playing music when I put them in my ear and I have to shut it off, but that stopped occurring a couple weeks ago. However, the music widget remains on the lock screen (and to your point, takes up more than half the screen space). These kinds of issues shouldn't be happening with iPhone software updates. Apple needs to get it together, there are too many "ghosts" in the iCloud "machine."

Jan 4, 2021 7:26 AM in response to HomesRMyBiz

Well I used to love my iPhone. But honestly the stupid music widget on the home screen when I plug my earbuds in to make a call just annoys the heck out of me. Hello Apple? When I plug in, I want to make a call - remember these are phones. I uninstalled the music app, so no now I won't be buying any of your music, and all the other lock phone/Siri switches, etc. set to off. But nope, no matter what I do, when I plug in earbuds, music widget forces the things I WANT to see off the screen. Fix this Apple. Android is calling...

Jan 19, 2021 6:28 AM in response to MJCSameDay

im getting closer and closer to that edge too. this feature is foolish. it’s out of place and in the way. along with the fact that i can’t turn my wireless earbuds to half without Apple lowering the volume by itself. Hello!!!, I have them turned up but the sound is already low, I don’t know...maybe it’s the way they sit in my ear canal, maybe it’s the way they are not strong to begin with, maybe it’s the recording is already low, maybe it’s not even music maybe it’s spoken word. Hello

Music widget stuck on lock screen when bluetooth headset is connected.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.