Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failing Graphics Card?

I have an early 2009 Mac Pro with a Radeon 4870 graphics card. I keep this computer around to run older programs on occasion. When it started up the other day I got vertical lines on the screen over the apple logo. After the blue screen there is garbage and can't do anything (see first two photos). When started in safe mode (see 3rd photo) I can see the desktop, and open windows, but there are 4 gray vertical lines running down the screen. Does this look like a failing graphics card? If it is should I remove it and clean it up?

The monitor is an HP LP2475w but I don't think that is the problem.

thanks for taking a look and giving me your feedback.

Dennis

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 11:25 PM

More than likely it is a failing graphics card, they tend to be the weakest link of all the components in Mac Pros.

Check all connections for the card and that it is seated correctly in the PCIe slot.

Easiest way to confirm it is the graphics card is to take it out and put in another one.

Do you have access to another graphics card, or can borrow the graphics card from another similar Mac Pro.

Replacing the graphics card is a simple procedure there are many You Tube videos, make sure you select

one for the 2009 Mac Pro.

The graphics card you replace it with will depend on what you use the mac for, there is no point buying a

high end card if you only use the mac for e-mail, web browsing and low end apps.

If you use the mac for 4k video editing, 3D modelling or other high graphics intensity work then you

will need a graphics card that can handle it, this will run into hundreds of dollars/ pounds etc.

To retain the start up screens and access to the Startup Manager/ Boot Manager then the card must

be a Mac Edition or 'flashed for mac' card.

Standard PC cards can be used in a Mac Pro but you will not get the boot screens or access to the Boot Manager.

While you are agonising over the decision of which card to buy you can get the cheap Nvidia GT 120,

this was the standard card that came with the 2009 Mac Pro. This is a low end card but will get you up

and running and are always available, they are second hand though and will cost about $60-00.

Make sure it is the Apple card, the one with the light grey cover.

It has one DVI and one mini Displayport outputs so depending on your monitor you may need to

buy an adaptor.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 11:25 PM in response to Denl10

More than likely it is a failing graphics card, they tend to be the weakest link of all the components in Mac Pros.

Check all connections for the card and that it is seated correctly in the PCIe slot.

Easiest way to confirm it is the graphics card is to take it out and put in another one.

Do you have access to another graphics card, or can borrow the graphics card from another similar Mac Pro.

Replacing the graphics card is a simple procedure there are many You Tube videos, make sure you select

one for the 2009 Mac Pro.

The graphics card you replace it with will depend on what you use the mac for, there is no point buying a

high end card if you only use the mac for e-mail, web browsing and low end apps.

If you use the mac for 4k video editing, 3D modelling or other high graphics intensity work then you

will need a graphics card that can handle it, this will run into hundreds of dollars/ pounds etc.

To retain the start up screens and access to the Startup Manager/ Boot Manager then the card must

be a Mac Edition or 'flashed for mac' card.

Standard PC cards can be used in a Mac Pro but you will not get the boot screens or access to the Boot Manager.

While you are agonising over the decision of which card to buy you can get the cheap Nvidia GT 120,

this was the standard card that came with the 2009 Mac Pro. This is a low end card but will get you up

and running and are always available, they are second hand though and will cost about $60-00.

Make sure it is the Apple card, the one with the light grey cover.

It has one DVI and one mini Displayport outputs so depending on your monitor you may need to

buy an adaptor.

Nov 25, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Denl10

natural-looking or repeating vertical artifacts are a strong indicator of problems with the graphics card. Vertical failures of the display matrix tends to show up as bizarre artifacts that do not repeat.

The display itself just places the provided horizontal rows "slices" (one pixel tall) onto the screen.

To get most Vertical artifacts, it needs to be from somewhere that "knows" about the shape of the screen, and that is the graphics card.

Failing Graphics Card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.