Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad YouTube app, Picture in Picture mode not working (premium subscriber) Nov. 2020

Greetings;

using the YouTube app, the picture in picture mode used to work on my iPad. Why has this function been disabled? What is the solution? I am also a YouTube premium subscriber, so this should work. It used to work in 2019 and early 2020. What changed? What is the solution?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 8:26 PM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2020 7:00 PM in response to SummitAndBeach

Hi SummitAndBeach,

It sounds like you're having trouble using picture in picture for your iPad and we can help.

It looks like your iPad Air 2 should support this feature for multitasking:

Use Multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

What happens when you press the Home button while watching a video in full screen? Do other apps, such as FaceTime, behave properly?

Try forcing YouTube to close and restarting your iPad if it's not behaving properly:

How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Dec 10, 2020 12:12 PM in response to AKRBTN

Greetings AKTBTN;

PREMIUM YouTube subscribers (like me) have been limited and I'm seeking PiP resolution from both APPLE and Google/YOUTUBE.

I've been chatting with Google/YouTube support, and they indicate it is APPLE's issue that the YouTube app no longer plays PiP (Picture in Picture). While it DOES work in a browser for PiP, it does NOT work anymore for the YouTube app itself. I've attempted the recommended SCRIBTABLE app workarounds (and trusting unsupported SHORTCUTS), however, as of December 2020 this workaround also no longer works.

Please advise.

iPad YouTube app, Picture in Picture mode not working (premium subscriber) Nov. 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.