Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I see where Photos.app thinks the System Photo Library is?

I have about 8 photo libraries, all of them on a [connected and mounted] external disk. One of them is the System Photo Library, but which one? I have forgotten.

Since I upgraded to Big Sur, Photos.app is saying it cannot find the System Photo Library. Apparently, Photos.app is looking for it in some place where it is not.

I would like to know where it is looking, and what is the name of the library it is looking for, so that I can point it to its correct location.

Necessarily, Photos.app has this information stored somewhere. Where?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 1:24 AM

Since I upgraded to Big Sur, Photos.app is saying it cannot find the System Photo Library. Apparently, Photos.app is looking for it in some place where it is not.

Not necessarily. It could mean, that the external volume with your libraries is having permission issues and Photos cannot look there for your Photos Library.

Has your external volume been used for Time Machine backups? Then Photos will not look there for the library. As a test, try to set the "Ignore ownership on this volume" on your external volume as described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517 . If it is not possible, something is wrong with the external volume.

Photos may also signal that the System photo Library is missing, if you did not connect the external volume, before you logged into your user account. Make sure, the external volume is always plugged in, before you start up your Mac and sign into your account. The system photos library needs to be available for the background processes, as Lon as you are signed into your account, even if you are not working with Photos.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 1:24 AM in response to jdmuys

Not necessarily. It could mean, that the external volume with your libraries is having permission issues and Photos cannot look there for your Photos Library.

Has your external volume been used for Time Machine backups? Then Photos will not look there for the library. As a test, try to set the "Ignore ownership on this volume" on your external volume as described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201517 . If it is not possible, something is wrong with the external volume.

Photos may also signal that the System photo Library is missing, if you did not connect the external volume, before you logged into your user account. Make sure, the external volume is always plugged in, before you start up your Mac and sign into your account. The system photos library needs to be available for the background processes, as Lon as you are signed into your account, even if you are not working with Photos.

Nov 30, 2020 2:48 PM in response to léonie

Yes it's on an external volume, one that is not and never was used for Time Machine. And it _is_ set as ignore permissions. But your point is well made that the volume needs to be mounted even when not using Photos for some system-wide photo features to work.

In my case that external volume may have been unmounted some (small) fraction of the time. Perhaps that would have been enough for the system to reset its System Photo Library?

How can I see where Photos.app thinks the System Photo Library is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.