Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant locate my system photo library after Big Sur update

Help

I updated to big Sur and now my secondary libery is the default one and I cantf ind my system photo library---But it is all on the cloud-(can see all on my phone)

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 11:29 PM

Do you remember where you kept your system Photos Library? Have you kept your system photos Library in the Pictures folder or on an external volume? Photos on Big Sur may no longer show the previous System photos Library, if the library is on an unsupported location, for example on an external volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups or an incompatible file system format. If you are keeping he library on an external volume, make sure it has a wired connection (not a network share) and the file system format is MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and not case-sensitive.

How did you do the migration to Big Sur? Usually the files in your home folder will remain untouched, when you install a system upgrade. There is one exception - files and folders that have been stored at the top level of the system volume will be removed by the Big Sur upgrade. If your Photos Library has been stored at the top level of the system volume, not in your user home folder, look at the folder Users > Shared. There may be a folder with "Relocated Items" in the name, where files and folders are collected, that have been removed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2021 11:29 PM in response to jenabla

Do you remember where you kept your system Photos Library? Have you kept your system photos Library in the Pictures folder or on an external volume? Photos on Big Sur may no longer show the previous System photos Library, if the library is on an unsupported location, for example on an external volume, that has been used for Time Machine backups or an incompatible file system format. If you are keeping he library on an external volume, make sure it has a wired connection (not a network share) and the file system format is MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS and not case-sensitive.

How did you do the migration to Big Sur? Usually the files in your home folder will remain untouched, when you install a system upgrade. There is one exception - files and folders that have been stored at the top level of the system volume will be removed by the Big Sur upgrade. If your Photos Library has been stored at the top level of the system volume, not in your user home folder, look at the folder Users > Shared. There may be a folder with "Relocated Items" in the name, where files and folders are collected, that have been removed.

cant locate my system photo library after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.