Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem in scrolling Youtube page on Safari macOS Big Sur

Hello,

Since this morning I'm having problem in scrolling YouTube pages on Safari (it freezes and blocks while I scroll with the trackpad).

Anyone can help me in resolve this?

This problem appeared today, in the previous days I didn't have it.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:51 PM

Apparently there’s some issues with web styling in YouTube, so this lovely person has created a temporary workaround, see image for instructions. Once you’ve installed userscripts Safari extension from the App Store, enter the CSS code in the extension and save the code. Now refresh youtube and it should work perfectly.

Credit and a big thank you to Gnattu over at MacRumours forum for the fix!

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 6:51 PM in response to antp01

Apparently there’s some issues with web styling in YouTube, so this lovely person has created a temporary workaround, see image for instructions. Once you’ve installed userscripts Safari extension from the App Store, enter the CSS code in the extension and save the code. Now refresh youtube and it should work perfectly.

Credit and a big thank you to Gnattu over at MacRumours forum for the fix!

Nov 27, 2020 11:45 AM in response to antp01

On YT's main page, scrolling is working fine for me, but in any video, scrolling seems 'sticky', like starting scrolling (in any direction) the page seems 'stuck' until enough 'scroll action' is input, then it becomes unstuck and glides. Once it stops, though, the same issue occurs.

It seems to be 'inertia'-based. Turning off inertia when scrolling breaks scrolling all-together on a video's page.

Dec 5, 2020 9:13 PM in response to AargauSteve

@AargauSteve

Thank you for your solution.

I have exactly the same problem on Safari 14.0.1 on Mojave 10.14.6. My workaround was to use arrow keys but it's pain the rear end. Positioning cursor at the left edge of youtube window to the left of the avatars works around the bug really well. But I found the scrolling bug persists no matter if vertical ellipses is in view or not. As long as you are anywhere but at the left edge you can't scroll with two fingers. Hope this helps to clarify the workaround, and hope Apple fix this bug soon.

Dec 8, 2020 6:37 PM in response to JBWooster

I believe the scrolling/web styling issue with Youtube is specific to Safari 14 (which is available for macOS 10.14-11.0. Not sure if it affects earlier versions of Safari, but I didn't notice it when I was using Safari 13. I think a fix will most probably have to be from Youtube, as the scrolling issue doesn't seem to affect other websites?

Problem in scrolling Youtube page on Safari macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.