Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much storage is needed to upgrade to Big Sur? I have 30 GB free before downloading the installer. When I click on the HD to install it, I get a msg stating not enough space available

How much storage is needed to upgrade to Big Sur? I have 30 GB free before downloading the installer. When I click on the HD to install it, I get a msg stating not enough space available

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 8:29 AM

See the following from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Bravo-Zulu

See the following from How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

If upgrading from macOS Sierra or later, macOS Big Sur requires 35.5GB of available storage to upgrade. If upgrading from an earlier release, macOS Big Sur requires up to 44.5GB of available storage. To upgrade from OS X Mountain Lion, first upgrade to OS X El Capitan, then upgrade to macOS Big Sur.

Nov 25, 2020 9:15 AM in response to Bravo-Zulu

Other is not a place or location where files are stored, it's category label for files that can't be identified to be one of the more popular categories. My guess is that you opted for a 128 GB when you purchased your Mac, it's just too small. Other than eliminating any snapshot files, collections of videos/movies, audio files, or uncompressed photos, there's not much more that you can do.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.