Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule - Old Backups

Hi folks.

On my 2tb Airport Time Capsule I can see not only my current MacBook and my wife's Mac Mini backups, but also backup images for three old, now disposed-of, MacBooks. These old MacBook backups are taking up quite a large amount of disk space and I want to erase them. The Airport utility appears to only allow me to delete the entire disk content including current MacBook and Mini backups. Accessing the Airport Time Capsule through Finder and attempting to delete the redundant backup disk images does not work. The instruction manual for the Airport TimeCapsule only discusses whole-disk erasure.

Does anyone have any pointers as to what I can do to get rid of the redundant backups ... or should I risk erasing everything and then running complete new backups for my MacBook and my wife's Mac Mini?

Thanks in advance for all helpful suggestions!

Mark

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 11:46 AM

Do you plan to upgrade to Big Sur soon?

A clean current backup is no bad thing.. I never tell people to erase backups without carefully thinking. But if everything is currently running well and nothing deleted recently that would need to be restored.. particularly photos/vids.. which are not recoverable easily. And you have not used the backup in ages.. then go ahead and do a quick erase.. it only takes a minute.

Then do backup of the Mac with the smallest drive.. when that is completed do backup of the other one.

It may still be better to erase again when Big Sur is installed but worry about that after.. having decent intact backup now is great.

Let me add a clone is also a very good thing. I don't trust Time Machine and have not done so for ages.

Too much.. I just shat in the nest and need to clear it out and start again.

What that notification is missing is..

Your old backup and entire history is going to be erased. Too bad!!

A Carbon Copy Cloner bootable clone to a USB drive can be worth its weight in gold.

It is free to use for a month.. one license covers all your home machines.

I have no links to the company.. just happy to recommend it.

It has never needed to wipe its backups.. TM did it every 2 months in the worst scenario..

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 11:46 AM in response to markfromoldham

Do you plan to upgrade to Big Sur soon?

A clean current backup is no bad thing.. I never tell people to erase backups without carefully thinking. But if everything is currently running well and nothing deleted recently that would need to be restored.. particularly photos/vids.. which are not recoverable easily. And you have not used the backup in ages.. then go ahead and do a quick erase.. it only takes a minute.

Then do backup of the Mac with the smallest drive.. when that is completed do backup of the other one.

It may still be better to erase again when Big Sur is installed but worry about that after.. having decent intact backup now is great.

Let me add a clone is also a very good thing. I don't trust Time Machine and have not done so for ages.

Too much.. I just shat in the nest and need to clear it out and start again.

What that notification is missing is..

Your old backup and entire history is going to be erased. Too bad!!

A Carbon Copy Cloner bootable clone to a USB drive can be worth its weight in gold.

It is free to use for a month.. one license covers all your home machines.

I have no links to the company.. just happy to recommend it.

It has never needed to wipe its backups.. TM did it every 2 months in the worst scenario..

Nov 25, 2020 9:54 AM in response to markfromoldham

Accessing the Airport Time Capsule through Finder and attempting to delete the redundant backup disk images does not work.

Actually that should work. Are you using main admin account?

What OS are your Macs using?

There are other ways.. via the terminal using command line..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8082925?answerId=32741303022#32741303022

or some apps but they seem to not work on Catalina.. no idea for Big Sur if you have upgraded.

Just search for file deletion apps.. the one I am thinking of is ???

or should I risk erasing everything and then running complete new backups for my MacBook and my wife's Mac Mini?

Personally I would do this. It is far superior method and for certain if you have upgraded to Big Sur a wipe of the TC disk is well worth it.

You can plug a USB mac formatted drive (same size as TC disk or larger) into the TC and archive the disk.. It will take all day for a full drive but then you can happily erase the TC knowing the backups are preserved. After a month or 6.. you can wipe this drive and use it for other things.

For later Mac OS it is no bad thing to create a bootable backup on a USB drive. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. They are still working on some issues with Big Sur but it is much easier to get back to working OS if something really bad happens when you have a clone.

Nov 25, 2020 11:15 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks. I'm still on Catalina. In theory I should be accessing the Airport Time Capsule as the administrator, but I cannot be sure nor able to tell. I'm tempted to use the Airport app on the MacBook to erase the disk and then run a full backup of both my MacBook and my wife's Mac Mini. That way, I'll clear the redundant backups and both of our (relatively new) Macs will be backed-up.

Nov 27, 2020 12:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks! I've made a new clean backup of my MacBook to a WD Passport for Mad drive. I intend to do the same for my wife's Mini. Then I'll wipe the Airport Time Capsule and run new backups of both to that before upgrading both of our devices to Big Sur. There is nothing that we will lose from wiping previous backups, as there are no recent mistaken deletions etc. At least them the Airport Time Capsule will only contain backups of our current devices. Many thanks for your help/comments/encouragement!

Airport Time Capsule - Old Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.