Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other uses of Apple Airport Time Capsule

I have seen replies to similar question that suggested using it as an external hard drive is not cost effective but other than its prime purpose as a Time Machine, can anyone suggest any other suitable, sensible uses for it?

Hopefully not a silly question but since it is a router what can I connect to it? You don't know what you've got until you ask.

Finally one last question which started this all off.

I recently upgraded from an old MacBook Pro and just realised that Time Machine has started a new Backup of only what was on the new MacBookAir leaving a disk image of the old MacBookPro on the Airport Time Capsule. I now don't seem to be able to access those files as they are different to those loaded onto the new MacBook as they must have come from Apple iCloud.

If I click on the disk image MacBookPro.backupbundle it says "Opening this disk image may make your computer less secure or cause other problems".

Any suggestions to all of the above?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 2:03 PM

I have seen replies to similar question that suggested using it as an external hard drive is not cost effective but other than its prime purpose as a Time Machine, can anyone suggest any other suitable, sensible uses for it?

Hopefully not a silly question but since it is a router what can I connect to it? You don't know what you've got until you ask.

The Time Capsule is outdated. Remember even the last one in the series is from 2013 and design goes back a year or more before that. Apple sold the same thing for 5 years without any change. It is too underpowered to do much of anything with. Just like any other wireless router from 2013. It is possible to store files on it but not recommended. It was always designed as a backup not a NAS.

AC wireless is mediocre in terms of range but if you have a dark area in the house, you could plug it into ethernet connection and set it to get better signal.. but modern mesh does a hugely better job if you cannot use ethernet. And every other router has more ethernet ports.

Put it on eBay and sell it.. IMHO that puts money back in your pocket to buy something more useful.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2021 2:03 PM in response to LaPastenague

The Time Capsule is outdated. Remember even the last one in the series is from 2013 and design goes back a year or more before that. Apple sold the same thing for 5 years without any change. It is too underpowered to do much of anything with. Just like any other wireless router from 2013. It is possible to store files on it but not recommended. It was always designed as a backup not a NAS.

AC wireless is mediocre in terms of range but if you have a dark area in the house, you could plug it into ethernet connection and set it to get better signal.. but modern mesh does a hugely better job if you cannot use ethernet. And every other router has more ethernet ports.

Put it on eBay and sell it.. IMHO that puts money back in your pocket to buy something more useful.

Jul 21, 2021 3:52 AM in response to gop1947

Do you still have both computers??? This is going to be 1000% easier if you DO NOT use the Time Machine backup from old version of Mac OS onto your new big sur MBA ... at least I am hoping you do...

The only way to move files is using Migration Assistant.. NOT Time Machine. You need to migrate the new files to the new computer... problem... if the new computer has a tiny hard disk and the old computer had a big fat one.. you are going to have problems. Tell us how possible it is to move files and if impossible due to disk capacity you will need to buy a USB drive if you don't have the old computer and copy the files manually.

Other uses of Apple Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.