Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore files from time machine backup (on Apple Time Capsule) of a different computer?

I need to find some files located in a time machine backup of an old computer. It's a backup located on an Apple Time Capsule.

As it's used as my router, I've tried going to Finder, then clicking on the Time Capsule under locations, entering the password and connecting. Then there's a folder called 'Data'. Within it there is the backup for the old computer in .dmg file format. From other things I've read, when it's a backup on an external drive there should just be a folder you can click in to, to look at files. That's not the case here when it's on a time capsule. If you 'show package contents' of the .dmg there's nothing usable or viewable, just lots of exec files.

I've also tried go to time machine in the menu bar and press alt, 'browse other backup disks' but that doesn't seem to work and just shows me a today finder window for my finder.

It would be great if someone knows what to do here. Thanks

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2021 9:07 AM

I've tried going to Finder, then clicking on the Time Capsule under locations, entering the password and connecting. Then there's a folder called 'Data'.

Correct, that is the default name of the Time Capsule hard drive, unless you have renamed it.

Within it there is the backup for the old computer in .dmg file format.

You should see a "xxxxxxxx.sparsebundle" file with the name of the Mac

From other things I've read, when it's a backup on an external drive there should just be a folder you can click in to, to look at files.

Not sure what you have read, but It's a lot more complicated than that. If you want to use the Finder to view files on a backup of the "old" Mac, you would not use "Show Package Contents".

Double-click on the sparsebundle file with the name of the Mac and give things a few minutes for another disk to appear on your Mac's desktop

You may see a small window appear with a message that indicates that "Opening name of xxxx Mac. sparsebundle"

Click Skip in this case

Eventually, (it may take 5-10 minutes or so) another disk will appear on the Mac's desktop with a name like "Backups of xxxxxx Mac"

Open "Backups of xxxxxx Mac" and a list of backup dates will appear

Choose the date that you want to use and open that file

Wait for a folder named "Macintosh HD" or it might say "Macintosh HD - Data" to appear

Open "Macintosh HD" and wait for things to load

Open "Users"

Open the file with the name of the user that you want and another window like the example below will appear

Continue to open folders to drill down to locate the files that you need.

The next hurdle may be encountering a message that you do not have the "permissions" to read the files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2021 9:07 AM in response to ItsNotJack

I've tried going to Finder, then clicking on the Time Capsule under locations, entering the password and connecting. Then there's a folder called 'Data'.

Correct, that is the default name of the Time Capsule hard drive, unless you have renamed it.

Within it there is the backup for the old computer in .dmg file format.

You should see a "xxxxxxxx.sparsebundle" file with the name of the Mac

From other things I've read, when it's a backup on an external drive there should just be a folder you can click in to, to look at files.

Not sure what you have read, but It's a lot more complicated than that. If you want to use the Finder to view files on a backup of the "old" Mac, you would not use "Show Package Contents".

Double-click on the sparsebundle file with the name of the Mac and give things a few minutes for another disk to appear on your Mac's desktop

You may see a small window appear with a message that indicates that "Opening name of xxxx Mac. sparsebundle"

Click Skip in this case

Eventually, (it may take 5-10 minutes or so) another disk will appear on the Mac's desktop with a name like "Backups of xxxxxx Mac"

Open "Backups of xxxxxx Mac" and a list of backup dates will appear

Choose the date that you want to use and open that file

Wait for a folder named "Macintosh HD" or it might say "Macintosh HD - Data" to appear

Open "Macintosh HD" and wait for things to load

Open "Users"

Open the file with the name of the user that you want and another window like the example below will appear

Continue to open folders to drill down to locate the files that you need.

The next hurdle may be encountering a message that you do not have the "permissions" to read the files.

Apr 20, 2021 11:48 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob, thanks for the very helpful response.

It seems I may have been overcomplicating things a bit. After what you said, I realised that the .dmg was a sparse disk image. For people in my situation, the below image is what I saw.

My first thought was that clicking on it would start to install the back up on my computer, something I didn't want to do, but as Bob mentioned it's a sparse disk image. After double-clicking it the first time, I saw an 'opening' window. I left this for about 30 mins, but after seeing no change canceled the loading. I then double-clicked the .dmg file again and straight away a 'backups.backupdb' file opened under 'locations' in the finder sidebar. Once I clicked on that I could access the backed up files.

How to restore files from time machine backup (on Apple Time Capsule) of a different computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.