Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

recover files from time machine to different mac

I would like to recover some files my Mom had backed up on a Time Capsule. The only way to access a time capsule backup is via time machine or migration assistant. Time machine to my knowledge only works for the computer which was being backed up. And migration assistant is only useful if you are restoring an old computer or to transfer data to a new one.

Since I only want to recover certain files is there a way for me to do that?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:59 PM

s49 wrote:

I tried this and was able to connect to the time capsule. When I double clicked on the sparse disk image it just opened a larger image of the icon with the size info.

I have no idea what you are describing. Almost sounds like you QuickLooked it by hitting the spacebar.

Another problem I encountered is when I try to get to the files on time machine on her computer even when I go back to a date in the past it shows the last updated date as today. That is why I was trying to access the files another way since I can't get to them on her computer.

That sounds like it is corrupted. Try running First Aid on it using Disk Utility.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2023 7:59 PM in response to s49

s49 wrote:

I tried this and was able to connect to the time capsule. When I double clicked on the sparse disk image it just opened a larger image of the icon with the size info.

I have no idea what you are describing. Almost sounds like you QuickLooked it by hitting the spacebar.

Another problem I encountered is when I try to get to the files on time machine on her computer even when I go back to a date in the past it shows the last updated date as today. That is why I was trying to access the files another way since I can't get to them on her computer.

That sounds like it is corrupted. Try running First Aid on it using Disk Utility.

Sep 23, 2023 9:21 AM in response to Barney-15E

OK so first I held option to see other time capsule disks.

I selected the drive and hit use disk. Which brought me to the screen below. I double clicked data which opened that up to show the two backups. One for my Dad's computer and one for my Mom's.

I then double clicked her sparse disk image and this is what I got. I wasn't holding any other keys when I did this.

Not sure what I am doing wrong here.

How do I get the time capsule to show up in disk utility so I can run first aid? Haven't tried to run disk utility on an externally connected drive. Nevermind I see it shows up so I am running first aid now.

Sep 22, 2023 7:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

recover files from time machine to different mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.