Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 external monitor issue

Got the MacBook Air M1 (16GB+1TB) for work and output the screen with an external monitor, leaving the laptop folded.

After MacBook woke up from a sleep, the RGB was displayed wrong (no green, only red and blue).

If I open up the MacBook (so the main screen switches back to laptop), the display will come back correct on both laptop and external monitor.

I've replaced 3 different HDMI cables (all HDMI 2.0 spec), 3 different USB-C to HDMI adapters (1 from Apple, and 2 from Anker), and 3 different power adapters (Apple 30W, Anker 45W, Apple 61W), and all of them have the same issue. It's intermittent, but over 50% chance it will happen.

Before I has been using the same setup with my MacBook Pro 13 (mid 2020) Intel i5, never seen the same issue.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 2:02 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 3, 2020 2:29 PM in response to drhayashi

Hey there, drhayashi!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're only experiencing issues with your external monitor when your MacBook Air lid is closed, but when it's open the issue is resolved.

We'd like to have you first start with the troubleshooting steps in the section specifically for contrast or color issues from this support article:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

As mentioned in the "Get more help" section: "If you've tried these steps and your display still isn't working, contact Apple Support to get more help. "

Take care!

Dec 10, 2020 5:27 PM in response to MoonJ.

It only happened to Macbook M1 chips. On Intel models there is no problem at all.

This week I replaced another Macbooks and they had the same issues.

After I purchased like 5 different HDMI adapters, I figured out that as long as the adapter supports HDR (including the Apple USB-C to AV adapter), it's going to happen. These adapters without HDR won't have the problem.

Also, the external screen turned blank for seconds every hour like cable being disconnected.

I think it's possible that something wrong with the SMC either firmware or hardware on these M1 machines.

Your help would be appreciated.

MacBook Air M1 external monitor issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.