Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP - Target Display Mode

I just bought the following new iMac:

I also have an older iMac:

And a MacBook Air:

I have the required thunderbolt cable and thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 connector. You can see the OS of each, here is the issue:

I can connect the MacBook to the old iMac and use the iMac as a display using Target Display Mode, no problem, works like a charm. When I try to use the new iMac and the old iMac as a display, it don't work.

Anyone have an answer or workaround? I find it very odd that using the old iMac as an external display works with the MacBook but not the new iMac.

Any suggestions? Work around?

Thanks Scott

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 3:26 PM

It is vaguely explained at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display.

4 replies

Nov 26, 2020 8:07 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks Den.Thed

What I don't understand is if it works with the MacBook Air running the same OS, and it is a standard port, and the new iMac recognizes the connection (I checked in "about this Mac" - Thunderbolt Bus, on both Macs), what would this prevent this from working? I don't get it.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

HELP - Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.