Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I move raw file photos as well the jpeg modified files to a back up hard drive?

I have a macbook pro with catalina OS. I would like to pictures in raw format as well as the edited versions to a back-up hard drive. Eventually I would like to have them all in the Photos library.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 12:06 PM

Do you have the check box copy items to the photos library, in settings checked. If not, photos will leave the image files where they are on your hard drive and expect to find them there. (The default is to have the box checked, then the images are copied into the photos library.

Did you also delete the exported image files?

Do you have a backup of the photos or of the iPhoto library?

I am not familiar with iPhoto - does it also have a recently deleted folder like Photos does?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2020 12:06 PM in response to deflumeri

Do you have the check box copy items to the photos library, in settings checked. If not, photos will leave the image files where they are on your hard drive and expect to find them there. (The default is to have the box checked, then the images are copied into the photos library.

Did you also delete the exported image files?

Do you have a backup of the photos or of the iPhoto library?

I am not familiar with iPhoto - does it also have a recently deleted folder like Photos does?

Nov 26, 2020 1:38 AM in response to deflumeri

Hi

You will need to do two exports from photos:

1 - Export unmodified originals

This will export the raw (or jpegs= if that is how they originated) files exactly as they were when you imported them to photos.

2 - Export

This will export the edited files in whatever format you want. You will want to select full size, and maximum quality (if exporting jpeg)

Note: Export won't remove them from the library - so you will have the photos both in the library, and in external folders as individual files.

Like this:

Dec 20, 2020 11:57 AM in response to TonyCollinet

In trying to purge the old iPhotos Library and Just work with the new Photos Library I did the following.

I exported picture files, both original raw files, when available, and also jpg (when there were no raw still available) from the iPhotos Library. I then uploaded them from the exported files on my desktop to the Photos Library. Once they were uploaded I thought they were safely available. I then deleted them from the old iPhotos Library. When I tried to export them from Photos it gave me a message indicating that they could not be exported because the original could not be found. I am sick over this.

Dec 20, 2020 1:32 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I recovered my photos from the recently deleted location in iPhotos. But I noticed that I must check off "copy to Photos Library". The indication is that they can then reside in the cloud. my question is must them remain in the cloud or in some other location other than the Photos library to remain accessible. When and how can I just upload photos that have been migrated to Photos without losing the option of exporting them.

how do I move raw file photos as well the jpeg modified files to a back up hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.