Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 10.6 won't record AirPod Pros as input source

This is weird, because System recognizes AirPod Pros as audio input and output.

Logic Pro 10.6 also recognizes that in Preferences=>Audio.

When I create a new track in Logic Pro, and select "Audio=>Input 1", the program recognizes AirPods Pro as the input Device. Similarly it recognizes AirPods Pro as the Output Device.

However when I press Record, I get a message that says "No Input Source Selected." Keep in mind the preferences still say AirPod Pros are the input.

On the flip side, Logic Pro records perfectly if I choose the MacBook microphone and speakers as the inputs and outputs - even when AirPod Pros are the System's inputs and outputs.

Frankly I don't understand why AirPod Pros won't work if they are the selected input source in the system and in the program. They work as sources in other programs, but not LogicPro.

A few years ago on the forum someone else had this problem, but there wasn't a posted solution/resolution: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8549267

I'm running Big Sur on a brand new mid-2020 MacBook Pro, fyi.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 8:14 AM

Many users discovered that with surprise. These Bluetooth standards - they call them profiles - are essentially intended for consumer uses. Headsets are intended for voice conversations and these devices switch to lower quality in order to keep the latency as low as possible. This also open the market to cheap devices for car drivers and gamers for example.

There is no technical reason that precludes Pro Audio applications from supporting lower recording sampling rates. It is just there are no uses for that.

You're right, the entire device switch to low quality as soon as you use the mic. It may be possible to work around this but it is not worth the effort.

You can always record from the AirPods in another application (ex: QuickTime) and import in Logic.

Hope that helps,

WD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Gnatz1

Many users discovered that with surprise. These Bluetooth standards - they call them profiles - are essentially intended for consumer uses. Headsets are intended for voice conversations and these devices switch to lower quality in order to keep the latency as low as possible. This also open the market to cheap devices for car drivers and gamers for example.

There is no technical reason that precludes Pro Audio applications from supporting lower recording sampling rates. It is just there are no uses for that.

You're right, the entire device switch to low quality as soon as you use the mic. It may be possible to work around this but it is not worth the effort.

You can always record from the AirPods in another application (ex: QuickTime) and import in Logic.

Hope that helps,

WD

Nov 26, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Gnatz1

There is no - simple - solution. It is not a "bug".

Bluetooth devices like AirPods switch to an unsupported sampling rate when using the mic. It is related to the Bluetooth standard for "headset" devices. Unsupported by Logic I mean.

I responded to the same question a couple of time in the forum. i can provide details if needed.

WD

Nov 27, 2020 2:28 AM in response to Wilddrums

Wow - I didn't expect that; although because AirPods are a Bluetooth device it's not surprising. Although it is disappointing. From your reply it sounds like there's no way to adjust the Logic sampling rate to match the Bluetooth device's.

I should have researched a little deeper and I probably would have found your earlier responses - sorry! Thanks for that info.

Follow up question - I tried using the AirPods only as "input" and used internal speaker as "output", which also didn't work. I suppose there is no way to tell the Bluetooth device to use another standard just for mics?

Gnatz

Logic Pro 10.6 won't record AirPod Pros as input source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.