Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing duration of transition clip not working

I have a transition clip, one of the standard FCP clips, and it's on the end of the movie. Which is fine. But, if I add another short clip after that it shortens the transition clip to a miniscule amount of 6 frames and won't let me edit its duration.

It's almost as if the additional clip is squeezing it up. Editing the duration is just ignored.

If I remove anything that's trailing after that transition clip, it reverts to its normal duration.

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:30 AM

The lower clip, the incoming clip, has used all the available media to create the transition. It was at the very end of the available media when the transition was six frames. The application will not not an adjustment for you. It lets you decide how you want to deal with the shortness of the clip, which clip you want to adjust, or if you want to adjust the transition, or some combination of the three elements, outgoing, incoming, and transition.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2020 5:30 AM in response to RobertChalmers

The lower clip, the incoming clip, has used all the available media to create the transition. It was at the very end of the available media when the transition was six frames. The application will not not an adjustment for you. It lets you decide how you want to deal with the shortness of the clip, which clip you want to adjust, or if you want to adjust the transition, or some combination of the three elements, outgoing, incoming, and transition.

Nov 26, 2020 3:48 AM in response to RobertChalmers

The length of the clip doesn’t matter. What matters is the length of the handles, how much media you have available outside the edit selection to create the overlap for the transition. If you only have a few frames extra you can only have a short transition. Select the edit point and press Control-E for the precision editor. This lets you adjust the edit point, slide the content to change the edit point, or roll the edit, whichever works best for your situation.

Editing duration of transition clip not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.