Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos keeps freezing while trying to edit

My dog has just had 10 puppies and consequently we are taking literally hundreds of photos. Every time I go into Photos to edit or rearrange so that I can print, the application freezes and I have to restart my computer to get it to work, but as soon as I try again it freezes, so I am getting very frustrated and nowhere fast. Any clue as to what I am doing wrong or how to solve this would be appreciated. By the way I am using Big Sur 11.0.1

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 7:45 AM

Could it be, that you are running out of storage on your Mac? Check the free storage on your system volume and on the volume, where your Photos Library is stored, if it is not on your system volume.

Where are you keeping the Photos Library?

Are you perhaps using iCloud Photos?

9 replies

Nov 26, 2020 8:28 AM in response to pat green

There is one problem with "Available" storage. This is much too optimistic, because it includes storage that can be purged, but is not yet free. If you select your system volume in the Finder and use the key combination ⌘I to open the Info, it will show you the available storage and in parenthesis the amount of "Purgable", that is included in the available storage, but not yet free. The difference should not be smaller than 10 GB at least, or you are having a storage problem.

For example: I am using 1.3TB of of my system volume, 13.09 GB could be purged, if need be. How much of your available storage is just pursuable, but not yet free?

Nov 26, 2020 7:59 AM in response to pat green

When working with Photos, try to keep at least 10GB of storage really free, at all times, better more.

And if you are using iCloud Photos, I would wait, until new photos have been uploaded to iCloud or at least the syncing has started, before trying to work with the new photos.Since the Big Sur upgrade Photos is acting a bit strange, when I try to use the photos, while they are only visible in Imports.

Is your Photos Library.photolibrary still in your Pictures folder, or have you moved it to an external volume to save storage on your Mac?

Photos keeps freezing while trying to edit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.