Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K not playing 5.1 audio music files on Mac

I recently purchased an Apple TV 4K and can play Apple purchased, streamed content in Dolby Digital 5.1 as expected. However, when I play AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 movie files from the TV Library (formerly iTunes) on my Mac, they are only output in Stereo. Another oddity noticed is that after starting playback of a video file (in Stereo), if I hit Pause and Play, the AC3 blue indicator on my AVR will light up like it's an AC3 file. However, it's still in Stereo with no output to the center, sub and rear speakers. Never had this problem with my old G4 ATV.

Cabling - 4K ATV (audio setting 5.1 Dolby Digital) => HDMI => Samsung Q60 output 5.1 Dolby Digital => Optical => Sony AVR.

Anyone know how to play content from your Mac library on the 4K ATV in DD 5.1 - anything other than stereo?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 2:22 PM

I resolved this - a cabling issue.I connected the ATV 4K directly to my TV via HDMI and was sending DD 5.1 from my TV to the AVR through an Optical cable. Apparently, my 16 year old AVR had issues with the TV's optical output. I connected the ATC 4K directly to my AVR via a HDMI cable and can play movies from the iTunes Library on my Mac in 5.1 as expected.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 2:22 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

I resolved this - a cabling issue.I connected the ATV 4K directly to my TV via HDMI and was sending DD 5.1 from my TV to the AVR through an Optical cable. Apparently, my 16 year old AVR had issues with the TV's optical output. I connected the ATC 4K directly to my AVR via a HDMI cable and can play movies from the iTunes Library on my Mac in 5.1 as expected.

Nov 26, 2020 8:42 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

I did some more digging and restored a movie prior to Big Sur. The post update file info has a new AUDIO CHANNELS field and it's set to STEREO. I'm sure this t he the root cause of the issue. All audio formats on the file were not moved forward with the conversion, only STEREO. I'm going to open a case with Apple and WILL REPOR BACK.

Dec 15, 2020 3:02 PM in response to MRYFLYGUY

Basically I have a Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 from Creative Labs Pte Ltd I use a Optical TosLlink Cable from the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 to my amp to play movies in Apple TV App on Prefer AC3 Passthrough this worked on Catalina so I assumed I needed a new driver from Creative Labs Pte Ltd but tonight they confirmed that the 5.1 sound is a problem with Big Sur

Apple TV 4K not playing 5.1 audio music files on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.