Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV

I have a 4K Apple TV connected to my AV processor (Mcintosh MX 121) via HDMI. My movies are shared from my MacPro. No matter what settings I have, I can only get stereo. When I run the TV app from my MacBook Pro (also connected via HDMI to the same MX121), I get the full 5.1. Both setups get the exact same movie files from the same ATV database. It almost seems as though the AppleTV hardware does not recognize the movie audio while the App does.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 6:34 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 13, 2020 6:34 AM in response to MrLord

There are three choices:

• Auto/Best quality (PCM Multichannel): up to 7.1, depending on source.
  • Change format﹥Dolby Digital 5.1 (re-encoded from PCM Multichannel); use when PCM Multichannel is not supported by your equipment.
  • Change format﹥Stereo 2.0 (re-encoded from PCM Multichannel); use when you have two speakers and auto mixdown is not offered by TV or receiver.

Jun 12, 2020 9:20 AM in response to Urquhart1244

There are two choices; Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1. I use the 5.1 setting and my AV processor is set to Auto. If I set the AV processor to multi-channel it still only plays in stereo. I thought it might be a crappy HDMI cable but the same cable plugged into the same HDMI port on the AV processor will play 5.1 from my laptop using the app.

Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.