Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't play music from the Music app on my Mac to my AppleTV.

I bought a new AppleTV to replace an old one. The Music app on my Mac could play music from my local music library to the AppleTV. With the new AppleTV, the Music app recognizes the AppleTV, but sound won't play. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will start playing and then quit, while the Music app thinks it is still playing (and I can switch back to the computer sound and it works). If I redirect the computer's sound from the menu bar, it works. Why won't the Music app work with the AppleTV?

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2021 2:02 AM

The Music app on the current line of Apple TV is for online streaming from Apple: Apple Music subscriptions, iTunes Match subscriptions, iTunes Store music purchases.

To access music from a local library on a networked computer, activate Home Sharing, and use the Computers app on Apple TV to access the content.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Stream content with Home Sharing on Apple TV - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2021 2:02 AM in response to JohnS48

The Music app on the current line of Apple TV is for online streaming from Apple: Apple Music subscriptions, iTunes Match subscriptions, iTunes Store music purchases.

To access music from a local library on a networked computer, activate Home Sharing, and use the Computers app on Apple TV to access the content.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Stream content with Home Sharing on Apple TV - Apple Support

I can't play music from the Music app on my Mac to my AppleTV.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.