Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Screensaver Choose Photo Library Album Option

Why did Big Sur remove the Photo Library Albums Screensaver Option?

Is there a widget for this or other work around?

This was the best feature for a 27 inch iMac in kitchen with 50,000 photos.

Do I have to go back to Catalina?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 9:00 AM

9 replies

Jan 10, 2021 11:35 AM in response to Arw846

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 27, 2020 6:51 PM in response to Arw846

Barney, 

Thank you for your suggestion, it worked on my MacBook but not on the iMac. On the MacBook I was able to use the “Use as System Photo Library” button and browse to the Photo Library folder and select it as the System Photo Library.  The MacBook now shows the Photo Albums as Screensaver options. 

Unfortunately the iMac Photo Preference, “Use as System Photo Library” button is greyed out. But the correct folder is already shown on the path above. The iMac does not show the Photo Albums.  Big Sur has been installed about 5 days so it should be done indexing. Is there a way to reset the Screensaver plist?

Big Sur Screensaver Choose Photo Library Album Option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.