Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Photos does not export image Titles as metadata

For me the Title of the image (the comment that you put underneath the image) is not exported as part of the image metadata when making an image export, despite the checkbox for “Title, Keywords and Caption” in the export dialog being checked. It basically has no effect. This worked in Catalina, I used it all the time.

Does anyone have the same problem or does that work for you and I am doing something wrong?

Exact reproduction steps:

- set a title to a photo (by for example double clicking the gray file name underneath the photo)

- select this photo

- Go to menu: File > Export > Export 1 photo….

- Check “Title, Keywords and Caption” option

- Make the export

- Once export is finished, investigate the metadata using Finder “Get Info”

Expected:

- Under “More Info” section there should be a property “Title: “ containing the title of the image

Actual state:

- The “Title: “ property is not there.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 11:01 AM

24 replies

Dec 17, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Old Toad

It will be a long wait for a fix. I just installed the current Beta version and it is still not fixed. Photos is including the description and the location, but not the title, when exporting JPEGs. I would copy the title to the description before exporting. The description I currently more important on Apple devices than the title, because iPhones with iOS 14 and iPads with iPadOS 14 can show the description of a photo but still not the title.

I am using this Apple Script to copy the titles to the descriptions: Script: Batch Change the Description to the Title plus the Current Description (Caption)

Apr 1, 2021 3:00 PM in response to SnowEgret

SnowEgret wrote:

I am having the same problem -- title, keywords & caption do not export with photo in spite of checkbox.

That's a know bug with Photos 6.0. Tell Apple about the bug via Feedback - Photos - Apple. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

A workaround has been found by user léonie:

1 - export the image as a tiff file with the checkboxes checked to include all of the metadata.

2 - convert the tiff file to a jpg and it will retain the IPTC metadata within the file.

Not convenient but works.

Nov 28, 2020 12:46 AM in response to léonie

Leonie, thank you very much for posting this information. Not only that you have confirmed that there must be a bug in the app, I was actually now able to continue with my workflow. And it's all thanks to your tip that TIFF preserves metadata. I found out that PNG also preserves it, so now I export to PNG and just use some "Image Covnerter" tool from App Store to get the JPGs with metadata.

Dec 22, 2020 10:03 AM in response to arugula375

Big Sur Photos.app 6.0 exports .tif Title, Captions and Keywords OK to both IPTC and XMP tags:

exiftool -a -G1 -s export.tiff
[IPTC]          ObjectName                      : Title text.
[XMP-dc]        Title                           : Title text.
[IPTC]          Caption-Abstract                : Caption text.
[XMP-dc]        Description                     : Caption text.
[IPTC]          Keywords                        : Keyword 1, Keyword 2
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         : Keyword 1, Keyword 2

But it exports only the Caption text and puts it in the AFAIK wrong 'IFD0:ImageDescription' tag (that Preview.app however manages to display):

exiftool -a -G1 -s export.jpeg
[IFD0]          ImageDescription                : Caption text.

Exporting unmodified originals with IPTC as XMP exports the updated metadata Dates, Titles, Captions, Keywords, locations as a sidecar file:

exiftool -a -G1 -s export.xmp
[XMP-exif]      GPSLongitude                    : 31 deg 8' 6.36" E
[XMP-exif]      GPSLongitudeRef                 : E
[XMP-exif]      GPSHPositioningError            : 1 m
[XMP-exif]      GPSLatitudeRef                  : N
[XMP-exif]      GPSLatitude                     : 29 deg 58' 36.84" N
[XMP-exif]      GPSDateTime                     : 2020:12:22 09:31:56Z
[XMP-dc]        Title                           : Title text.
[XMP-dc]        Description                     : Caption text.
[XMP-dc]        Subject                         : Keyword 1, Keyword 2
[XMP-photoshop] DateCreated                     : 2010:10:16 17:19:13+03:00
[Composite]     GPSLatitudeRef                  : North
[Composite]     GPSLongitudeRef                 : East
[Composite]     GPSPosition                     : 29 deg 58' 36.84" N, 31 deg 6' 6.36" E

Those can be easily joined with GraphicConverter (it currently copies the tags to old IPTC that Photos.app 6.0 needs and also new XMP that Photos.app 6.0 ignores. It also copies the modified dates apparently from the 'XMP-photoshop:DateCreated' tag):

GraphicConverter > IPTC/XMP menu > XMP Sidecar File > Copy into JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs, webp, HEICs

Or via exiftool (IPTC and modified date would need additional options):

exiftool -m -P -overwrite_original_in_place -ext jpg -tagsfromfile %d%f.xmp .

<sigh>

Jan 4, 2021 9:02 AM in response to arugula375

Exporting photos using BIG SUR using JPEG - with titles and all info. Start with PHOTO TITLED = PANNA COTTA TART - IMG_7838.JPG with date, etc. EXPORT IMPORTS with title, but JPEG is PANNA COTTA TART (14).jpeg. I tried TIFF also, same result. I presume that these exported photos will be useless in the future without an accurate JPEG. ALSO, in the course of doing this export of several thousand photos, 1,476 photos were not exported for UNKNOWN ERRORS. BEFORE all this I made the unwise decision to move all my photos to the iCLOUD. I lost hundreds of photos in that process also. APPLE spends to much time MAKING INSIGNIFICANT CHANGES THAT WE DO NOT NEED and FAILS to make SIGNIFICANT changes that we need. SORRY, this is years of pent up frustration over photos and other APPLE "improvements".

Feb 17, 2021 1:10 AM in response to Ray Postuma

Ray Postuma wrote:

Exports are ‘hit and miss’.

Can’t trust Photos. This after trying to recover images and metadata from old iPhoto files!

ray

Your iPhoto Library may include images and videos in a legacy format, that Photos 6 on Big Sur cannot handle at all. You may need to convert images in a legacy format to format supported by Big Sur.

Mar 23, 2021 5:48 AM in response to léonie

No, this is not a matter of some kind of legacy format. This is a problem of Photos app. I have raw images produced at about the same time with the same camera (GH5S) and when I export some images to JPG keywords and titles are included and with some images are not. The most painfully visible is this when I create an album to be sync'd to iPhone - some images get sync'd with caption and keyword and some are not. On random basis. Imagine 1000 animal images where caption and keywords include their name. I would like to be able to see in the image details on iPhone to see the name of the animal. And have this album sync'd. Not possible today. Some images get metadata exported and some won't. On random basis. Already burned so many hours with testing. Checking what's get on the iPhone using viewExif - some images get title, caption and keyword within their jpeg and some won't. Apple software development needs to step up really. Outrageous.

May 8, 2021 1:18 PM in response to arugula375

As of May 8th 2021, none of the export options work on my M1 Macbook Air with the latest Big Sur 11.3: jpeg, tiff or png. The exported images have the day of the export as their metadata, which is a big nuissance. I have edited a lot of raw images and I would like to replace them with smaller files, e.g. jpeg. This implies exporting them with full metadata (date of capture and location), deleting the originals and importing the exported versions. This would allow Photos to preserve its structure and Memories suggestions.

P.S. exporting "unmodified original" also doesn't work. For example, when exporting a picture from August 14th 2011, it gets exported as April 14th 2021 and no location. So, only the day of capture is exported. Extremely weird.

Big Sur Photos does not export image Titles as metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.