Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export imovie project "com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1."

Hi there,

I've been working day and night on an Imovie project and adding subtitles to it for a job application. All I need to do is export this project now to youtube, but I keep getting the following message:

"Can't export imovie project "com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1."

This happens when I try to export via file, E-mail, etc... Reading other posts, has apple really not come up with a solution for this? I would try putting my Imovie in the trash and not deleting while adding a different version (as has been suggested), but I'm very worried I'll lose this project that way, and it seems that this hasn't worked for other people either. I was on the phone with apple support for a while but got hung up on.

It's the 27 of November 2020 - has anyone found any new solutions to this ongoing problem?

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 7:40 AM

Thank you all for your advice. So I had a very strange experience with my imovie. I went to my updates in the app store and updated all outstanding software updates (only safari as far as I could see needed to be updated). Then I went to the app store to try to download a different video editor in order to try to create my project again, and noticed an update prompt next to my imovie (strange because I would assume my imovie to then be in the update section of my app store window). Every time I tried to update my imovie it wouldn't work, and all I got was a whirly wheel at the top right-hand corner of my window. Turns out my Imovie was in the hidden incompatible updates section of the app store. When I finally did get on the phone with someone from apple, he suggested upgrading to Catalina via a download from safari (I'm not sure why my Mac didn't just automatically do this but then again I don't really understand what it does half the time). I then also got a prompt for security update restart, which I followed through with. Basically, after this security-restart I didn't have an issue with the compression anymore, and managed to get everything uploaded in time. I have no idea why the security update did it, but after that I didn't need any more help from apple support. All these prompts and updates occurred slowly over about a 3 hour time span. I can still see that my Imovie has an incompatible update (version 10.2.1) in the app store, and guess I'll need download the Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update from the apple support page to stay fully up to date. Thanks again for all your help!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2020 7:40 AM in response to Imovie_Driving_me_up_the_wall

Thank you all for your advice. So I had a very strange experience with my imovie. I went to my updates in the app store and updated all outstanding software updates (only safari as far as I could see needed to be updated). Then I went to the app store to try to download a different video editor in order to try to create my project again, and noticed an update prompt next to my imovie (strange because I would assume my imovie to then be in the update section of my app store window). Every time I tried to update my imovie it wouldn't work, and all I got was a whirly wheel at the top right-hand corner of my window. Turns out my Imovie was in the hidden incompatible updates section of the app store. When I finally did get on the phone with someone from apple, he suggested upgrading to Catalina via a download from safari (I'm not sure why my Mac didn't just automatically do this but then again I don't really understand what it does half the time). I then also got a prompt for security update restart, which I followed through with. Basically, after this security-restart I didn't have an issue with the compression anymore, and managed to get everything uploaded in time. I have no idea why the security update did it, but after that I didn't need any more help from apple support. All these prompts and updates occurred slowly over about a 3 hour time span. I can still see that my Imovie has an incompatible update (version 10.2.1) in the app store, and guess I'll need download the Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update from the apple support page to stay fully up to date. Thanks again for all your help!

Nov 27, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Imovie_Driving_me_up_the_wall

The CompressorKit error is very pesky and has been reported frequently on

this forum of late. It seems to be related to an iTunes update that implants a

64 bit architecture into the system library. Thus, some people have solved this

by upgrading to Catalina, that is a 64 bit operating system. However, that

would render inoperable any legacy 32 bit programs that you may have on your

Mac, and also some legacy media would not play in iMovie and would need to be

converted.

Sometimes booting up in Safe Mode (see Finder menu for instructions) and

immediately shutting down and rebooting in normal mode helps.

Recently there has been a breakthrough on this issue, discovered by

nicocaro, who posted a solution on this forum. Below is a link to the thread

where he describes how to solve the problem by removing a 64bit architecture

from an iTunes update.  Other posters have successfully tried the

solution.

Here's the link to nicocaro's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251266351

And here as well:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251352619

After doing the above your iPhone likely will not sync, although iMovie will

work.  To get your iPhone to sync again, see this link that solves that

issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251916124?answerId=253660165022&login=true

Here's another link, though older, that describes what others have tried

with the Compressor Kit Error:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8265338

There may be some proposed solutions in the above link that will work for

you.

I know that your experience with Apple Support was not successfull. However, all

else failing, try calling Apple Support again. The techs there are very savvy

and also have the capability of remotely accessing your computer. Click on the

Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this screen and navigate

to a place where you can provide your telephone number so that Apple Support

can call you back. I think that the file path is Contact Support/Mac

OS/Applications/iMovie. Good luck with this.

If you have time, post back with your results, as it may assist others who

have this perplexing issue, and will contribute to our data base.

-- Rich

Nov 27, 2020 7:12 AM in response to Imovie_Driving_me_up_the_wall

Sorry, I missed that.

Try deleting the preferences.

Hold down the  Cmd and Option keys as you launch  iMovie and this window will appear.

Click “Delete Preferences” and  iMovie will open in the default (as-new) mode with no projects etc. on the interface. 

You will have to navigate to any project you were working on and reopen it.  Your project libraries by default are stored in your Movies folder unless you have specified somewhere different.

Nov 27, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Rich839

In a pinch, since you need your video for a job application, you can try using the QuickTimePlayer app on your Mac to make a screen recording of your video. So, play your video on the preview screen of your project, set to full size, and use the Control-Shift-5 feature to reveal the controls for recording a screen video. In other words, as you play your video take a screen recording of it. Then save the screen recording to a .mov file on your desktop. Then you can drag it into You Tube's upload window.

-- Rich

Can't export imovie project "com.apple.Compressor.CompressorKit.ErrorDomain error -1."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.