Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS big sur upgrade causing my MacBook to crash and need repair

Has anyone heard of any other one having memory or other hardware issue while upgrading to macOS Big Sur. It happened to me, my MacBook was working fine but now they can’t reinstall any macOS and want me to replace the whole logic board -$700 cost. My MacBook is from 2017. Any advice and comment is great.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 11:45 AM

FWIW. I have upgraded a number of my Macs (various qualifying models) to macOS Big Sur and have not come across this particular issue doing so with any of them ... not to say that it isn't possible, but just that was not my experience.

An operating system upgrade damaging the device's logic board, would be more of a rarity than common, and yours just may be an unfortunate case of being circumstantial. I'm also assuming that you took your notebook to either the Apple Genius Bar or to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to make that determination ... correct?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2020 11:45 AM in response to MikeK1976

FWIW. I have upgraded a number of my Macs (various qualifying models) to macOS Big Sur and have not come across this particular issue doing so with any of them ... not to say that it isn't possible, but just that was not my experience.

An operating system upgrade damaging the device's logic board, would be more of a rarity than common, and yours just may be an unfortunate case of being circumstantial. I'm also assuming that you took your notebook to either the Apple Genius Bar or to an Apple Authorized Service Provider to make that determination ... correct?

Dec 31, 2020 4:53 AM in response to MikeK1976

My MacBook 12 inch early 2015 lost the ssd drive when upgrading to big sur. Apple support told me to hand in the macbook to an authorized repair shop. They took a quick look and $100 to confirm what we already knew. The MacBook needs a $600 new logic board. No way, I am happy using my old MacBook Pro 2011.

Please think twice before an upgrade to big sur.

Jan 22, 2021 9:07 AM in response to MikeK1976

I have the same problem with a Macbook Retina 12 - 2017. After installing Big Sur, the computer turned off and it didn't turn back on. I took it to the Genius Bar and they didn't even run a diagnosis to identify the root cause, they want me to pay for a Logic Board and a new battery, adding up basically to the amount of a new computer. I am extremely disappointed because I rarely used my computer and it was like new. It doesn't make any sense. I have complained but it does not help. Apple is not taking any responsibility for this.

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 4, 2021 2:05 AM in response to eleftheria160

I have MacBook pro 2018. Wanted to install to Big Sur and have issues and only able to install Catalina. Sent in Apple and was told I need to pay S$900+ for the motherboard replacement. I have no issue with my 2 years old laptop only till I tried to upgrade to Big Sur. I am surprised I am not the only one to get this problem. I really think Apple should replace the motherboard with no charge. This is the MacBook Pro design issue. Not users as many have the same issue.

macOS big sur upgrade causing my MacBook to crash and need repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.