Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Crashing / Cannot Update

My 2016 12 in MacBook crashed for the first time a few days ago. I then went to update the system to 12.2 to see if that would prevent more crashes, but the download got stuck at a few hundred MB, and then crashed again. If I browse with Safari, eventually the system will also crash. I've managed to get the computer to work for a few hours listening to podcasts with the wi fi off, but eventually it crashed coming out of sleep. Also, the system will crash at the same point in the update download every time. It doesn't get to the actual Apple logo updating section. So far, I have tried:

Resetting PRAM / SMC

Booting in Safe mode

Downloading the update via the app store

Recovery Mode and reinstalling the OS (hangs at the same spot 2/3 complete every time, then crashes)

Accessing Terminal in recovery mode and using CSRutil disable to try and find the partially completed updates and delete them, but I couldn't. I enabled it again after I was done

Clean Up My Mac from the app store and checked for malware (there was none) I also tried to delete unwanted files in system clean up in the app, but hit the free trial limit (and I don't think that's gonna work)

I would try to revert to Big Sur, but it appears I need a memory stick to do that and I don't have one of those (and I don't think it's going to work). Anyone with a similar issue?

MacBook, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 1:02 PM

Update: Worked with support, determined it is probably a hardware fault requiring repair. Erasing the hard drive essentially bricked the system, since it can't be installed back onto it in recovery mode. I was hoping to put off either repair or buying a new one due to weather and covid, since I could still listen to podcasts and have limited usage. However, that option is now gone. If you don't want to have to send it in for repair immediately, do not follow support's instructions to erase the hard drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2022 1:02 PM in response to rheck86

Update: Worked with support, determined it is probably a hardware fault requiring repair. Erasing the hard drive essentially bricked the system, since it can't be installed back onto it in recovery mode. I was hoping to put off either repair or buying a new one due to weather and covid, since I could still listen to podcasts and have limited usage. However, that option is now gone. If you don't want to have to send it in for repair immediately, do not follow support's instructions to erase the hard drive.

Feb 4, 2022 9:38 AM in response to rheck86

First I suggest that you completely remove "Clean Up My Mac" from your computer. Even though you can download it from the App Store, these types of apps are not necessary and tend to cause more issues than resolve them.

Next, I would suggest that you run an EtreCheck report. Optionally, post it here if you need assistance with interpreting its results. EtreCheck is a diagnostics tool created by another forum contributor that greatly aids with troubleshooting Mac problems.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

In addition, you can post any kernel panic or app crash reports from the Console app. The more information we have the better we can try to assist you with a solution ... or, at least, narrow down the culprit(s).

Feb 4, 2022 11:01 AM in response to Tesserax

I deleted Clean Up My Mac right after I downloaded it and ran the malware check. I contacted support and they advised me to make a Time Machine backup and erase the hard drive via Disk Utility in Recovery Mode. I did that, but the problem persists when I attempt to reinstall the OS via Recovery Mode. Acts like it's mostly downloaded, but the status bar won't move and it eventually crashes. Standard startup is the folder with ? symbol on it. So, I went from a partially functional computer to a nonfunctional computer. I'm getting set up with a call back from the senior team, hopefully. If anyone else has this issue, maybe do not erase your hard drive.

Feb 10, 2022 5:42 PM in response to rheck86

Update #2: Just got back my macbook back from the service center and guess what... still broken. They sent it back installed with Catalina installed as the OS for some reason. No phone call, no email, no contact whatsoever from the repair center. It crashes at the exact same spot on the Monterey update. I'm in contact with support working my case.

Feb 18, 2022 7:33 AM in response to rheck86

Update #3: Was able to run a diagnostic tool with a specific time stamp and uploaded that to support and sent that data to the engineers. Turns out, it's a fault in the SSD, but it's not registering in the any of the standard diagnostic tools. Sent it in for the 2nd time and got it back yesterday after they replaced the logic board. Three to four hours later after restoring from back up, my computer is back to normal and up to date... except it won't charge anymore. Shows the AC adapter is plugged in, but clearly states "battery is not charging" and the percentage never increases from where I last left it (currently 77%). About this mac system report says the battery is normal. It was fine when I sent it in. So, now it's off for a 3rd trip to the service center where I was told it will be promptly wiped again. Not sure my external hard drive will survive another restore and I know it probably isn't very good for my new SSD drive either.

System Crashing / Cannot Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.