Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which do I use when moving photos from iPhoto library to ext. HD (preview, master or thumbnails)?

Hi all,

Sorry if this is already asked but I couldn't find anything...

I'm trying to clear up my (multiple) different back-ups and folders from the past 10 years, after many different apple laptops - particularly the photos. Essentially at the moment I have photos saved all over the place, I have 3 or 4 different iPhoto libraries with different photos, as well as other photo files on my external HD and in the old Time Machine backups. What I want is one folder, on my external hard drive, with all photos I've ever taken stored (I have a lot of spare time to sort through them all). I don't need (or want) to access these through Photos and plan to store them on an external disk.

My questions are:

When I go into the iPhoto libraries in Finder (by 'right' clicking on Photos Library > show package contents), there are a bunch of folders. The images themselves seem to be in Masters, Previews and Thumbnails. Which folder do I need to take the photos from that I want to move to my external HD? Am I correct that it's from the Masters folder as I never edited the photos, so I just want the originals? My searching on forums has ended up with me very confused...

Also, once I have these photos all exported and moved to my external hard drive in one big consolidated photo folder, I assume I can delete all these old 'Photos Library's' from my back ups of old Macs?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Lizzie

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 1:03 PM

Please don't go into the library structure with finder - it is not designed for that - and you're risking losing all your photos.

Open the libraries in turn with the photos app, Select all photos, and in the file menu select "export unmodifed originals"

Then pick where to put them.

Similar questions

4 replies

Which do I use when moving photos from iPhoto library to ext. HD (preview, master or thumbnails)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.