Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Videos in iPad's Messages app too bright to watch

I have a 2018 iPad. Suddenly starting last week, when family send me videos through Messages, the still of the video appears normal, but when I play it, the image is blown-out bright. Interestingly the film-strip at the bottom appears fine. The problem doesn't appear on photos, only videos. This happens on every video I play in the Messages app, but nowhere else. YouTube for example doesn't display the problem at all. Since it seems like a clear software issue within Messages, I did a complete erase and reset of the iPad. Sadly the problem continues. Messages is how I stay in contact with my immediate family who are all abroad, so this glitch is a bit devastating :( I was hoping it was an update glitch but I haven't been able to find any reports on line of the same problem, and my updates are up to date. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 11:36 AM

Hello KnittingNancy,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into issues with videos played through the Messages app, appearing brighter or washed out.

We see from your screenshot that the video is showing HDR (high dynamic range) which means that the video was shot in a high light environment. Take a look at the article below that has some additional information on playing and recording HDR video. Make sure to specifically look at the section at the bottom under the title "Learn More".

Play and record HDR video on iPhone or iPad

If the issue remains, you mentioned you erased and reset of your iPad. To clarify, was this done through Settings on the device, or did you do this using iTunes or Finder from a computer? After erasing your device, did you install a backup or set it up as new? Which version of iPadOS installed on your device? This is in Settings > General > About.

Also, are the videos showing like this from all contacts that send you videos, or just specific contacts?

Best regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 11:36 AM in response to KnittingNancy

Hello KnittingNancy,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're running into issues with videos played through the Messages app, appearing brighter or washed out.

We see from your screenshot that the video is showing HDR (high dynamic range) which means that the video was shot in a high light environment. Take a look at the article below that has some additional information on playing and recording HDR video. Make sure to specifically look at the section at the bottom under the title "Learn More".

Play and record HDR video on iPhone or iPad

If the issue remains, you mentioned you erased and reset of your iPad. To clarify, was this done through Settings on the device, or did you do this using iTunes or Finder from a computer? After erasing your device, did you install a backup or set it up as new? Which version of iPadOS installed on your device? This is in Settings > General > About.

Also, are the videos showing like this from all contacts that send you videos, or just specific contacts?

Best regards.

Videos in iPad's Messages app too bright to watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.