Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone keeps turning volume down

I’ve recently got an iPhone XS Max and every so often when I’m listening to music over Bluetooth, the volume turns down and I get the below error. This is understandable when listening through headphones but I often use Bluetooth speakers or my car, where the volume needs to be up high.

When using a 3.5mm dongle, I’m able to tell the phone that the attached device isn’t headphones (usually is a set of wired speakers), and this issue is avoided.

Is there a way to set a Bluetooth device to be not headphones, as this is getting incredibly annoying and if I’m driving, I have to stop the car to turn my volume up again! Reduce loud sounds is off.

This also makes the headphone monitoring function, which I’m genuinely interested in using, completely useless as it is skewed by me listening in my car or speakers. I don’t listen to my music that loud through my headphones!

Hope there’s a solution to this, I’m new to the iPhone and as I’m always listening to music, find this more than a bit annoying.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 10:36 AM

please disable this feature. This has never happened before the last update. I am hearing impaired and have to keep my headphones at 100% to hear at a 50% level. I do NOT appreciate you regulating my levels. I am am adult age 40 and am responsible enough to regulate this myself. It is extremely annoying and unnecessary. I’m not a lawyer but I think you may have some lawsuits on your hands soon from handicap hearing impaired people like me. I should have the option to turn this on or off. FIX PLEASE

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2021 10:36 AM in response to jdo_apple

please disable this feature. This has never happened before the last update. I am hearing impaired and have to keep my headphones at 100% to hear at a 50% level. I do NOT appreciate you regulating my levels. I am am adult age 40 and am responsible enough to regulate this myself. It is extremely annoying and unnecessary. I’m not a lawyer but I think you may have some lawsuits on your hands soon from handicap hearing impaired people like me. I should have the option to turn this on or off. FIX PLEASE

Dec 5, 2020 4:06 PM in response to Daniel_UK

Hi Daniel_UK,

We can understand wanting to get to the bottom of things with the alerts you're receiving. We'd be happy to help out with clearing that up.

You may locate details on this particular feature here:

Headphone notifications on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch

As the page will note, and as the text in your screenshot of the Headphone Safety settings confirm, these notifications cannot be disabled in certain regions or countries or regions due to regulations and safety standards. Some bluetooth audio devices, such as speakers, may be identified as headphones and contribute to the headphone audio exposure, which seems to be what you're encountering.

We hope that helps clarify things.

Take care!

Dec 20, 2020 1:20 AM in response to jdo_apple

Which regions and countries cannot have this disabled? I use Bluetooth connections to external speakers and this keeps happening but it is ridiculous as I control the volume with the controls on the speakers depending on the setting, for instance while driving the volume knob on the receiver is generally set to low but when certain tracks come on it gets cranked up. This may not happen for days. It is even worse when riding my motorbikes as I wear earplugs to reduce the wind noise so I HAVE to have the volume louder to hear SatNav directions.

I need to to be able to disable this function and the help provided doesn't point me at a place where I can do that.

Jan 25, 2021 10:04 AM in response to jdo_apple

Yeah same issue here:

I'm on a motorbike wearing earplugs TO PROTECT MY HEARING. The iPhone needs to be at full gain to give sufficient signal to my bluetooth headset, where I manage the actual sound volume. Except the iPhone keeps turning down the output volume, meaning I can't hear music or navigation. So now I'm on the M25 motorway with no way to hear which exit I'm taking and no option to stop, and it's definitely not safe to try and get my iphone out of my pocket at 60mph on a motorbike to find the volume adjust. Really basic functionality removed because some nitwits aren't bright enough to realise that loud noises damage hearing, and Apple aren't able to create a nuanced solution..

Apple - if you are going to make the phone 'smart' enough to manage my in-ear volume then you better find a way for the phone to actually know what that is, rather than a blanket assumption that I'm using in-ear headphones...

Are you going to add the option to tell the phone that the device I'm using isn't a set of earphones?

Alternatively.... when can I expect my refund for the iPhone....?

Jan 30, 2021 3:45 AM in response to tracyfromconiston

Go to your Bluetooth menu in Settings. At the end of each entry is the letter i in a circle. Tap on that and for external devices you will be able to choose what type of device it is.

I am currently listening to my music on my (parked up, engine off) car stereo having set the Bluetooth entry to 'Car Stereo' and it the Db level is not being added to the stats for automatic volume reduction. I have changed the settings for my motorcycle helmets and external speakers.

The only only ones that are still providing data are my AirPods, which can't be be changed, and my wired headphones. Funnily enough, neither of these devices shows a Db level above the WHO safety recommendations.

iPhone keeps turning volume down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.