Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't play my own video!

Why am I getting this message when I try to play a video from my Photos?... "Cannot Play Video: Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable."

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:47 AM

OK - that suggests your macbook storage is full, or close to full.

What do you see when you click "manage storage"?

Setting optimise mac storage should remove full size images and videos from your mac and only store them in iCloud. BUT it might not be able to start this process if there is insufficient space.

Before we do anything else - I have to check. Are ALL your images and videos stored in iCloud? Do you also use an iphone to take pictures/videos? Can you check at www.icloud.com

(Log in with your apple id and click the photos icon to check everything is there)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 1:47 AM in response to shari121

OK - that suggests your macbook storage is full, or close to full.

What do you see when you click "manage storage"?

Setting optimise mac storage should remove full size images and videos from your mac and only store them in iCloud. BUT it might not be able to start this process if there is insufficient space.

Before we do anything else - I have to check. Are ALL your images and videos stored in iCloud? Do you also use an iphone to take pictures/videos? Can you check at www.icloud.com

(Log in with your apple id and click the photos icon to check everything is there)

Nov 29, 2020 12:25 AM in response to shari121

Hi

Have you enabled "optimise mac storage" in iCloud settings? This error normally occurs because the full size video is not on your mac. It should download when needed - but

• Videos are large so it may take some minutes depending on your internet speed
  • This may not work if the iCloud library is not fully synced. What does the status say at the bottom of the all photos view?

(Here is mine - "updated just now")

Can't play my own video!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.