Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new apple watch 6 not counting flights of stairs

My watch is only counting every eighth flight of stairs. I tried toggling the motion and calibration thingy but it was as if i just imagined hauling laundry down and up 2 flights of stairs. What else should I check?

Apple Watch

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 5:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 12:14 PM

Hi weepingbeech,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your Apple Watch inaccurately recording flights of stairs.

On your iPhone are Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Fitness Tracking and Health both enabled?

Does the issue occur when the both the Apple Watch and iPhone is present?

Are the stairs in question 10 feet (3 meters) of elevation gain (approximately 16 steps)?

Let us know further details.

Have a fantastic day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 12:14 PM in response to weepingbeech

Hi weepingbeech,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your Apple Watch inaccurately recording flights of stairs.

On your iPhone are Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Fitness Tracking and Health both enabled?

Does the issue occur when the both the Apple Watch and iPhone is present?

Are the stairs in question 10 feet (3 meters) of elevation gain (approximately 16 steps)?

Let us know further details.

Have a fantastic day!

Dec 6, 2020 1:11 PM in response to weepingbeech

Everything is on.

I don’t normally carry the phone.

It is 10 feet to the second floor, but not much more, and because of arthritis I start down with the watch hand low on the railing. Going up I’m usually carrying something, so the watch might be starting higher than usual. The basement is not 10 feet down. It looks as though I’ll have to go back to leaving a click counter on the stairs if I really want to know how many trips I make. Thank you very much. Meg

Jan 3, 2021 3:00 PM in response to weepingbeech

No comfort, I know, but you are not alone. My downstairs has a 10 foot ceiling, so I know I'm going up high enough. I thought at one point maybe I needed to have my iPhone7 with me, but that doesn't seem to matter. I get maybe 3 out of five stair climbs counted. That combined with the conversion of steps to mile being about 25% high makes me miss my FitBit Surge.

new apple watch 6 not counting flights of stairs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.