Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running apps you already installed from a thumb drive?

I understand that I may install the apps on a flash drive only if they don't need an installer by copying and pasting already installed ones on the external flash drive.

But how do I know if the already installed ones needed an installed one or not?

Which apps typically need an installer?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 4:52 PM

However, a thumb drive is not an ideal choice for running apps. That is best done on your internal drive. I would not even trust them for long term storage of backups - they are not known to be all that reliable. If it needs to be external, then at least get a quality external hard drive.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 4:52 PM in response to Ginarya

However, a thumb drive is not an ideal choice for running apps. That is best done on your internal drive. I would not even trust them for long term storage of backups - they are not known to be all that reliable. If it needs to be external, then at least get a quality external hard drive.

Nov 30, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Ginarya

Sure you can, just remember: any app that is CPU/processor intensive is best run from the device that actually has the processor (your Mac) rather than from a hard drive that has to communicate with the processor through a cable. That is old time advice, but I don't think the process has changed in that regard.

Running apps you already installed from a thumb drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.